Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas In the South

Merry Christmas
Three years ago, our family started a little tradition of sorts of going south for Christmas. Normally we would spend Christmas on the farm or down at the family cabin in the mountains of northwest Arkansas but my grandparents are getting up there in age and only have a small finite number of Christmas' left to celebrate. So in the interest of maximizing their remaining years, we travel down south to Florida where they live (now year round for the first time this year) and rent a place along the Gulf for some rest and relaxation with them.

Last year I spent a couple days with my grandfather mining shells in the beach, which I blogged about here. I also spent several afternoons playing cards with my grandmother who taught me all I know about card gambling.  My brother and his wife and two kids show up along with my parents and we all have a good time. We all savor them thinking that this year might be the last time.

Fortunately for me and my grandparents, last year wasn't the last time and in a few days, I'm heading south to the Gulf. From experience, I know that I won't even pick up a computer the entire time I am down there so I will see you all when I get back after the first of the year. I can catch up on your blogs then. Because my wife is on maternity leave and as a Child Behavioral Modification Therapist (aka stay at home dad), my vacation time off is pretty good so we may dwaddle a bit on the way down and back. Stop and smell the roses so to speak.

9 comments:

Bone said...

Ah, my favorite place on Earth. Christmas at the beach, I really gotta try that one year.

Merry Christmas, Ed. And a Happy Festivus.

Ed said...

Bone - I'm bringing the Festivus pole with us to the beach!

malor said...

You are lucky to still have grandparents. Enjoy them. My husband's grandparents are slowing down. We also think that their days are numbered. So we plan to visit them really soon. Anyway, Merry Christmas....

sage said...

Travel safely--when I have been home with my parents on Christmas, I also take a Christmas walk on the beach!

edifice rex said...

Hey, stop by if you have the time or inclination Ed! I suspect we'll be around most of the time. ha!

woodysrockyridge said...

Merry Christmas and safe travels Ed.

TC said...

I LOVE your job title!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you had the merriest of Christmases, and enjoy your time with family.

I'm now plotting to see if I can con the boyfriend into Christmas at the beach next year...

geri said...

Lucky you to still have grandparents! How old are they? One of the advantages of staying at home - extended vacations =) Enjoy!

Ed said...

Geri - They are in their late 80's.