Monday, November 19, 2012

Baby Abbey - Celebrations


I'm not sure why we didn't suspect it. A few of you may recall that six and a half years ago, Little Abbey came into this world early and due to the earliness, we ended up spending ten days in the hospital before coming home. All is good now but back then.... I still shudder when I think about the whole experience. Also, my wife looked exactly like she did back then before going into labor, like a over stuffed ball that was about ready to pop. Not to mention that last weekend she began to 'nest' by getting everything in the nursery ready to go. Still, when last Thursday morning rolled around and my wife popped her 'plug' after breakfast, we still weren't ready.

I got Little Abbey ready and put on the school bus while my wife called the hospital and took a quick shower. We went up to the maternity ward to get checked and found that she was already dilated 3 centimeters and thinning. One way or another, we were having a baby again, about three weeks early. Calls were made, things organized and three hours later, Baby Abbey made her presence into this world.

Because my wife ended up having a C-section the first time around after 20 hours of labor, a small birth canal and too big of a baby, this time was a mandatory C-section at least at our local hospital. It was nice because my wife didn't have to wear herself out completely before giving birth. I think that was a huge difference because this time around, Baby Abbey, a girl by the way, came out screaming her lungs off and was a very healthy baby. Saturday afternoon, everyone came home.

I suppose I should say a little bit about the picture above. It is one taken right before we left the hospital. When Little Abbey was born, we were given a large bag full of freebee items. The hospital decided in the ensuing years to change things up and get rid of that large bag and instead fix up a 'Celebration Dinner.' We could choose between chicken kiev and steak, salad, potato and desert, topped off with a bottle of sparkling white grape juice. As you can expect, the steak ordered medium rare was well done and rubbery. the green beans needed a spoon to get up off the place and the mashed potatoes, well they could have been used as stucco. The desert wasn't half bad though. But that item in the foreground, Baby Abbey, made it one of the best meals I've ever had.

Little Abbey is happy as a clam being a big sister, Mrs. Abbey is doing well despite having just been gutted for a second time in six and a half years and me, Ed, well I'm happy that my family is doing well. I'm also making plans to fix up the bathroom in the basement as the MAN bathroom since I will soon be competing with three girls.

Baby Abbey
Born 15 Nov 2012
Weight 6 lbs 13 oz.
Length 19 inches

13 comments:

Vince said...

Congratulation and welcome to the new addition.

Oh you poor deluded man. Do you really think you will have a bathroom all to yourself. Even I know that won't happen and I have no wife and girls.

Ed said...

Vince - Well a guy can dream can't he?

Carol said...

Congrats on the new addition! And, yea, good luck on that bathroom issue! LOL

geri said...

Awww, she is a beauty. She looks a lot bigger than 6 pounds! I still remember my celebration meal at the hospital with much fondness. Congratulations Abbey family on your new addition, I bet Little Abbey is so thrilled! And yeah, good luck on that bathroom lol

Ed said...

Carol - Thanks.

Geri - Little Abbey is terribly thrilled though last night we had our first bought of jealousy. Fortunately I was able to nip that in the bud by creating Daddy time while Mommy was nursing the baby.

Ron said...

Congrats!

Three hours is a lot better than 20+ in labor before C-section. Our first experience sounds like yours.

edifice rex said...

Yay!!! Congratulations!! I'm happy to hear everything went well, albeit early.

malor said...

congratulations! she is very cute. lots of hair. thanks for sharing her pics. i love the description of the food...

Ed said...

Ron - It certainly would scare people from having more kids. Fortunately, time tends to cause us to forget.

Edifice Rex - Thanks.

Malor - Thanks.

Woody said...

Congrats!

Ed said...

Woody - Thanks. I'm hoping she will be able to help me on my future barn project like yours.

Bone said...

Congratulations and glad to know everyone is doing well.

I think a basement bathroom sounds like a good sanctuary for Independent Ed.

Murf said...

Exciting! And yes, you need a man cave even if it is just a small room with a toilet. :-)