I swear that just a week or two ago I had a couple weeks worth of blogs all written up in my backlog waiting to be published and now, I have nary a one. Time has a way of going by so fast.
My jointer finally arrived but not without its own worries. I ordered it off the internet with delivery but I got a call from the company telling me that the delivery company they go with provides me three options. I can find a way to get the pallet with 280 lbs of jointer off the semi by myself since the driver is obligated to not help, pick the jointer up at their nearest distribution center where they will load it in my vehicle or pay an additional $34 for liftgate service.
The first option was pretty much off the table since I can't lift 280 lbs from five feet in the air to the ground without severe hurt or perhaps death. I called to see their nearest distribution center but found out it was in our capital city and would cost me much more than $34 in gas not to mention time to go get it. So I pretty much had to pony up the $34 for the lift gate service.
I wasn't completely unaware of this since I had been reading the reviews and many people griped about the extra money. I had no problem with the money since it was a bargain delivered to my door. What worried me was that lots of people complained that the driver simply dropped the crate in the middle of their driveway and left leaving them with a 280 lb obstruction to drive around until they found a way to move it inside. I figured that if this happened I would try hauling it on my two wheel dolly and if that didn't work, simply open up the crate and haul the pieces up to my garage one piece at a time.
Unfortunately, the driver was running late and it was twilight when he finally dropped off my package but fortunately, he wheeled it inside for me on his two wheel dolly. All I had to do was sign for it and wait until the following day to open up and assembly it. Assembly wasn't too bad and took me half a day. The only problem I had was that the cast iron table and cutter assembly was still about a hernia worth of lifting for one person. It has threaded studs on the bottom that dropped into holes in the base so even if I got it up there by myself, there was a good chance I would strip the threads on the studs to where they wouldn't work and that was just no good.
So I called up Dan, my colleague at the Child Behavioral Modification Therapy Institute and he was all too happy to give me a hand, well two hands and his back. Together we had the table assembly set in place and spent the rest of the time until lunch talking. I soon had the jointer up and adjusted and started on the first project I had lined up to justify its purchase. I am building a butcher block for our kitchen countertop. We had one at our last house and loved it and since we have a lot more counter place at this house but no butcher block, I'm making one that will just sit on top. More details on that later.