Monday, August 20, 2012

North Shore


Sunday afternoon, I finally sat down to think about where we would be going on vacation the following morning. I should have put more thought into it but things were just too busy and besides, with time on my side, limits about where we could go pretty much opened up to everywhere. I love the southern shores of our country along the gulf but it is much too crowded for me to relax fully. I've heard of the Jersey Shore but have no desire to go there more than my brief drive by earlier this year. So I went to the shore that everyone in these parts refers to and knows simply as the North Shore.

The North Shore refers to the part of northern Minnesota from Duluth to Grand Portage that forms part of the northern boundary of Lake Superior. It is rugged, wooded, not very developed and had lots and lots of waterfalls. What could go wrong. So Monday morning, we packed a few bags and headed north stopping for the night in Duluth.

I have driven through Duluth many times but have never stopped, not even once so this time I decided to rectify that situation. We holed up for the afternoon in a cheap motel and then headed down to the harbor for supper and a walk along the water. Dinner was great and we parked near the well known lift bridge and had our walk. We checked out lighthouses, the lift bridge itself and even made our way to the beach facing the Lake on a thin peninsula of land that stretched out into the harbor. Little Abbey got to wade in the cold waters while the Mrs. and I sat in the sand reading books and relaxing. It was really hard to drag ourselves away to our motel room but we did knowing that we had a full day of exploring planned for the following day.


8 comments:

sage said...

Hey, did you see me wave at you from the escarpment across the lake? If you'd taken a left when you hit water, you'd driven to Michigan's UP.

Ron said...

It's been many years since we were up that way. On a hot day, it's nice to be by the cold water.

Murf said...

I love Lake Superior. My goal this fall is to make it up there to the UP and perhaps spend the night in a B&B that is a renovated lighthouse!

Ed said...

Sage - I didn't wave but I did gaze across the water from high points a time or two and imagined where you might be direction wise.

Ron - It is definitely a lot more developed since my last trip but still relatively deserted off the beaten path.

Murf - I looked for some B&B's to stay in but with one child and less than a day's notice, there weren't many to choose from within my price range.

Bone said...

Ah, Superior. Now I got a hankering for some Gordon Lightfoot.

Never been to Minnesota. Well, had a layover there one time.

PhilippinesPhil said...

A cheap hotel here is like $20 to $25 a night... I won't stay in the ones cheaper than that although they do exist for the locals. Curious as to what a cheap hotel is for you over there in the land of "the big BX?"

Ed said...

Bone - Gordon Lightfoot came to my mind too more than once.

Phil - Well for a family, a cheap room up here is about $80. I can find some cheaper but not ones that I feel comfortable staying at without some sort of full body condom!

warren said...

There is nothing more relaxing than reading a book with your feet in the sand...well deserved I am sure!