Monday, July 2, 2012

The Icing On the Cake

Well the graduation went off without a hitch. It was a suit and tie affair according to my wife though I would say there were a full third of us men in shirts and ties with no suit coats. In married life, you choose your battles and I fought tooth and nail to not go buy a suit just for this darn party but I ceded part of the battle so I did wear a button up shirt and a neck choker. My reward for losing those battles was not buying a suit jacket. There was at least one fellow at the party that didn't even have a tie on. I would like to know what he gave up to pull that one off.

I'm out of my element at these kinds of events. This took place at a country club and it was full of people who obviously spent much time and money at such places. You can tell the look. I'm sure they could also tell that I was just a country rube that got in because of my wife and they would be right. Never the less, I wanted to enjoy the night and we did. We had a four course meal though I had to flag down a waiter because they forgot one of our courses, and the food was good. Then the festivities started.

Five different programs were graduating that evening and I think my wife's program was in the middle. They were also the largest program. The format seemed to be that each program and participants went on stage and their program director would introduce each graduate and tell the audience a bit about them before handing them their diploma. When all had been introduced, each program gave out a few awards to the graduates and the graduates to their teachers.  My wife didn't win the senior resident of the year award but I don't think either of us were surprised. It is mostly a popularity contest.

At the end of the night after the last program had gone back to their seats, the head hospital honcho came up for what I thought were the closing words. He did but before those, he had one more award. He started going into the qualifications of the award which was given to the top senior out of all programs who exhibited the best knowledge, best work ethics, the best patient interaction, etc. Call me cocky, but as he started reading through the list, I thought my wife had this one in the bag and I even rummaged around so that I had our camera in hand before the winner was announced. Unbeknownst to me though, this award always goes to one of the residents who has one the senior of the year award. So when the name announced, my wife was shocked and I just stood up so I could take some pictures of her accepting the award and the money, only this award came with a check, that came with it. I was one proud husband. I still am which is why I'm blogging about it.

There were lots of tears and hugging in our group after the ceremony wrapped up but eventually we had to stop because a steady stream of whose who amongst doctors and staff came by our table to congratulate my wife and let her know how deserving she was of the award. A few of them even congratulated me for allowing my wife to take three years of residency why I stayed home and held down the fort and took care of our daughter. I was and still am at a loss of words on how to respond to that since for me, there was no choice. Who wouldn't allow their spouse the opportunity to live their dream? Unfortunately most of them promised that they would stay in touch with my wife which means that I will most likely have to go to more of these parties and that means eventually I am going to have to break down and buy a suit that goes along with my neck chokers.

We finally worked our way out of the crowd and back home. Perhaps the best part of the evening was reading the copy of the nomination letter that won my wife her award. It only brought on more tears that someone actually sees my wife the way I have always seen her. Phone calls were placed and the celebration continued well into the night. If her graduating after three years was the cake, that award was the icing and man did it taste sweet. Now I have an additional project on my already lengthy summer list. I have a diploma and a top residency award to get framed for some walls of a hospital office later this fall.


12 comments:

kymber said...

congratulations to both of you! i know that was the one that did the work for the award but i am sure that she was able to concentrate and focus because she knew that you were holding down the fort! it sounds like you both had a good time at the ceremony/party and i am glad that you didn't have to wear a suit jacket - bahahahahah!

your friend,
kymber

malor said...

congratulations...i hope you live here in the metro so we could have her as a doctor...

geri said...

Congratulations to Mrs. Abbey and you! What sweet victory to cap off 3 years of sacrifice. What an eventful year for all of you =)

Ed said...

Thanks all, it has been a good run but one that I am happy to see end. Now we can start life as a family again just as soon as the in-law and other assorted relatives leave.

Ed said...

Malor - She will be practicing just a short 90 minute drive south of the metro, all of it four lane driving...

edifice rex said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! congratulations!! that's wonderful!!

Ron said...

Congrats!

Onward to the next chapter. Hopefully without too many shirt and tie events. :)

Vince said...

Congrats.

Btw, you should go to town and get yourself rigged with something in tweed. No point working the silk purse from sows ear angle with Armani type suits. Far better to get a bit of cloth made to fit you that you'll be comfy in. You are going to stick out one way or the other. So you might as well stick out in a good way, not looking like a bag of spuds cinched in the middle. It takes a certain shape to carry off a suit, and few have it. Oh, get some shirts at the same time.
Someone said you were going to Asia soon. Get them made there. A stop over in Hong Kong will see you right. You could get a few made that'll see you into the box with one. Hay Hoo's on that merry thought.

Woody said...

Fantastic! Congratulations to the two of you.

Bone said...

Wow. Congrats to your wife, er, Mrs. Abbey! (I almost forgot her name.) I'm not big on suits, but it's nice to dress up and look sharp once in a blue moon.

My only experience at a country club was for a wedding reception. I didn't even get a round of golf out of it.

Murf said...

Congratulations Abbeys! Now, time to get to work on that sibling for Lil' A! ;-)

TC said...

Unfortunately most of them promised that they would stay in touch with my wife

ROFL

I second Murf's statement :)