Friday, June 15, 2012

This and That

Home inspections... check.
Septic inspections... check
Contingencies released... check
Appraisals... on deck

Things are progressing on the home front quite nicely I guess. The house I am buying was slated for inspection this week and the house I am selling next week. Once both the appraisals have been completed and the bank, the same one in both cases, determines the loans a good risk, then there really is nothing left except the closing.

That is still up in the air on the house we are buying. I contacted the owner of that house and he has made an offer on a foreclosed house and is waiting to hear back. Depending on that answer will determine whether or not he will try to move up the closing date to two weeks from now. If that is the case, then I will probably be moving sooner rather than later and doing more of the move myself, if not all of it since I will have the time. Even if we stick to the original date, I'll still probably do a fair share of the moving myself since I will have some help in packing.

The help comes in the form of my mother-in-law who arrived from the Philippines earlier this week and will be staying for the summer. Towards the end of summer she will retire from her job which mandates that she must retire by next summer anyway, and then will probably come back over for another extended stay to spend time with her daughter and granddaughter. Whatever that outcome, she will be here all of July and isn't mobile, i.e. can't drive and it is too far for her to walk to many places, so I plan on obtaining a van load of boxes and setting her to work. Isn't that what any responsible son-in-law does?

This year was the year of the birthday parties for Little Abbey who turned six earlier this month. My wife had to be out of state on her actual birthday so Little Abbey and myself celebrated by ourselves on her actual birthday. Since her birthday happened after school let out for the summer and all the other students had celebrations during school, she also had one a couple weeks earlier at school. Birthday party number three came after my wife came home and we went down to my parent's farm. Still Little Abbey wanted some of her peers to attend a birthday party at home and so party number four takes place this evening. I've been working on the pinata all week with Little Abbey.

8 comments:

sage said...

I can't believe that she's now six! As for putting your mother-in-law to work, remember that turn-around is fair play and the next time you head to the Philippines...

geri said...

lol! You are a responsible son-in-law hahaha We want to see the pinata! Have fun and happy birthday to Little Abbey!

R. Sherman said...

Time flies. Before you know it, she'll have young suitors outside the front door.

Cheers.

kymber said...

Happy Birthday Little Abbey! i sure do wish i could have 4 BD parties, tho - bahahahahha! good luck with the closing/moving, etc. and all of the rest!

your friend,
kymber

Ed said...

Sage - Actually that is why I am putting her to work. Turn around IS fair play for time already spent in the Philippines working on her house.

Geri - The pinata is nothing special. Just one balloon blown up and covered in paper mache. I did get Little Abbey to get out her paints and decorate it.

R. Sherman - I hope not. Right now I am pushing the 'all boys contain germs' ideology on her.

Kymber - I'm not sure I want more BD parties. Anymore, I prefer a quiet evening with a good book and a finger or two of scotch.

Vince said...

Oh you poor deluded fool. For god sake don't you know anything about women. YOU DON'T DRAW THEM ON YOU. And you never ever ever put yourself in their debt. If you have to pack with both arms in slings and need to use your mouth to insert the stuff into boxes you never ask outside.
Of course I'm unmarried -thank god- so any advise from this quarter has to be taken with that in mind. :-)

malor said...

Happy Birthday Little Abbey! Enjoy your mother-in-law's company...

PhilippinesPhil said...

They grow up quick eh? All three of my stepdaughters now are grown up looking teens, 14,15,16 and when I first remember them they were little girls 4,5,and 6. The "joys" of fatherhood, ya can't beat it...