Friday, June 22, 2012

Graduation

After nearly three years or 155 weeks to be more precise, my wife is graduating this weekend from her residency program. Also for the first time in longer than three years, I have to dress up and actually wear a tie for some swanky dinner they give to the new graduates and their spouses. I was slated for a full suit but since I don't own one, I played the its-too-much-money-to-buy-a suit-just-for-one-meal card and reduced my sentence down to dress pants and shirt with a tie. I'm not sure if I can continue to play that card much longer.

If you noticed though, I said the word nearly and only plugged in 155 weeks instead of 156 weeks which equates to three full years. Just like so many other things in life, they evidently expect my wife to work another week beyond graduation and help the new crop of wet-behind-the-ear-residents who will be officially starting their three year residency program in one more week. I wish those married residents with children lots of luck. It ain't easy.

I think we survived this period in our life fairly easy due to our past. We dated for several years across an ocean on entirely different continents which meant lots of focus on our communication skills. Back then we called each other nearly every night and during the past three years, we called each other EVERY night. We also made it a point no matter how busy our schedules were to see each other for at least three of every seven days in a week. It was tough. We used more than our fair share of natural resources in the way of gasoline. But it was worth it.

So I think I am going to take a blogging vacation next week. I have a graduation to attend too, an apartment to pack up and move home, a home to pack up for a move to a different town, a genealogy trip planned and my wife's aunt and uncle from London, (my wife was living with them when I met her almost 13 years ago) who are stopping by for a couple week visit. Busy is putting it mildly.

8 comments:

edifice rex said...

Congratulations all around!! I don't blame you for taking off with all that going on. Have a good time and good luck with everything!

kymber said...

congrats to your wife and to you for keeping it all together! i hope that you get to do some fun stuff on your week off - not just pack and move! good luck with the move!

your friend,
kymber

sage said...

Congratulations on your wife's graduation. That's quite an accomplishment.

Vince said...

It's not really a graduation is it. More a licensing by the AMA, yes.
Tell her congrats.

Oh, ask her could she practice in Canada without doing the residency yet again. I know the Irish lot have some sort of arrangement.

geri said...

Congratulations to Dr. Abbey and to you too!

Woody said...

Congratulations!

PhilippinesPhil said...

vacation from blogging... i think i'll take a two weeker myself man. See you after Thailand...

Ed said...

Thanks everyone!

Vince - It is a graduation and she is able to practice anywhere in the U.S. once she passes the state boards exam slated for this August.

I'm guessing Canada would recognize her degree and graduation from a residency program but would still require to pass a Canadian board exam similar to our individual state board exams.