Friday, April 27, 2012

Farm Scenes, Sycamores & A Bone Tree


For me, this photo captures the essence of the farm life. You have some mowed grass, some tall grass, decorative or fruit trees nearby along with an old clothes line for drying clothes, lots of graveled or two track dirt paths leading this way and that, all of which is surrounded by farm fields. I could sit on a lawn swing looking out over this landscape for long periods of time and have.


If I had to pick a favorite tree, I guess I would choose a sycamore. The bone whiteness of its upper branches, green leaves and blue skies always produces such a pleasing contrast to my partially colorblind eyes. Spending time underneath a sycamores shade, a more complete shade than almost any other tree, is extremely soothing with a light breeze that causes the leaves to rustle. I can spend long periods of time laying in the grass looking up through the tree and have.


This bone tree grows down on the family farm and the calcified bone deposits seem to get larger every year. Some of the deer sheds represent flattened implement tires and others simply represent a walk that was briefly interrupted by something white glinting in the distance. This bone tree is only ten years old and I often wonder what it would look like if it was started during my childhood. Perhaps it might now be more bone than tree.

8 comments:

kymber said...

i love all of the trees although that bone tree is pretty interesting - i have never seen anyone do that before! and i am with you on farms and being able to look at them - i love looking out our windows at our little cleared areas! and there is nothing in the world like laying in the grass! awesome post buddy!

your friend,
kymber

R. Sherman said...

I love redbuds and dogwoods. They lift my spirits because when I see their blooms, I know Spring has arrived.

Cheers.

Ed said...

Kymber - Initially I thought the bones wouldn't hold up well but now I think they will be there perhaps even after I have left the surface.

R. Sherman - They are certainly my signal of spring too.

Murf said...

That's actually part of the tree? I like a nice, full weeping willow.

Vince said...

I think the tree is what we call a Plane. We have them in cities for they thrive in smog.
Those antlers must be a darn pest.

Ed said...

Murf - They are gradually becoming part of the tree after I tossed them up there.

Vince - The bone tree is actually a Chinese Elm tree.

edifice rex said...

I am fortunate enough to have lots of sycamores here at my place too. You are right; they make a wonderful shade and I love the look of their trunk against the blue sky. Photographs just don't ever seem to really capture it though, for some reason..

malor said...

Beautiful pictures. Now, I love sycamore tree too. That bone tree is interesting...