Monday, March 19, 2012

Zombie Burgers!


I'm not sure what the above artery clogging concoction was called. I'm hoping they weren't quite as bad for you when you split them with someone else and ate them over two meals on two different days. But I do know they were good. The left third were french fries with cheese curds and gravy, the middle third were cheddar cheese fries and the right third were chili cheese fries. As far as I know, the only place you can find them is at a place called Zombie Burgers in the Urban Jungle.

My wife had been there a time or two over the years but I had never been there. Whenever I am up in the Urban Jungle on the weekends during prime eating hours, the place is packed with a line two blocks long waiting to get carryout and no food is worth that kind of wait. But during a Saturday outing to the State Historical Society building just up the street to do some genealogy research a couple months ago, we stopped in a little before eleven in the morning when there were a few seats available. (Fifteen minutes later there was a line already forming outside.)


I've always maintained that the secret to any restaurant success, one must serve something unique, do it well, and don't try to please everyone with vast menus of meals. Although Zombie Burger's menu is a bit larger than what I would recommend, they follow the other two rules well. It is a place to get burgers. The burgers all have some sort of name that you would find in a classic zombie flick which is the unique part of the equation. The one above was my burger which I think was called the T-Virus Burger. It was essentially a meat paddy, topped by a huge portabello mushroom cap, topped with melted Swiss cheese and the standard burger fixings. It was very hard to eat and contain the mushroom from slipping out but it was oh so good.


Since these sat forgotten on my camera phone (which explains the lack of quality) for so long, I have forgotten what my wife had but judging from the picture and the menu which I also photographed, I think it was called the Dead Moines and is a burger with smoked Gouda, prosciutto, ham with the rest of the fixings.


Another unique thing about this place was that the menus were actually found on the insides of these zombie newspapers which made for good reading while waiting for our food. The food was excellent and I would love to eat there again sometime in the future but doubt that I will eat there too often. It is small with limited seating, the lines are extremely long and I don't think my arteries could handle fries like that more than once a year without some sort of repercussion.


11 comments:

sage said...

Sounds like an interesting place. I am always amazed when something good for you (like cottage cheese or spinach) can be made into something so delicious and bad for health.

Ed said...

Sage - You and me both. Coincidentally I just saw this weekend that Canadians have fries with cheese curds and gravy on them.

Vince said...

My burger goes a thick slice of well trimmed sirloin, hold everything.


That top photo would clog the heart as it is over the internet without ever even kissing the a lip.

R. Sherman said...

The fries are a meal in themselves. As for your wife's burger, the cheese looks like brie or Camembert. Either way, it makes my mouth water.

Cheers.

edifice rex said...

I swear, your restaurant posts always make me SO hungry. I should know better than to check your blog late at night.... :D

Bone said...

I'm pretty sure my cholesterol went up 50 points just looking at that first picture.

The mushroom Swiss burger thingy looks/sounds good.

malor said...

i heard about this place but haven't tried it. it came to my mind again a couple of weeks ago when demontrators dressed like zombie protested against nuclear power plant in iowa. your posting makes my mouth water...

Ed said...

Vince - I only wish the picture were a little better.

R. Sherman - They certainly were which is why we ate most of them the next day.

Edifice Rex - I apologize. I should put a warning in the title in the future.

Malor - You should try it but go off hours if you want a seat. Although I had heard of the nuclear plant, I hadn't heard of a protest. Since I don't get the state paper, I'm kind of out of the loop.

Murf said...

Love the Zombie theme. Funny...as soon as I saw the photo I thought of poutine. Must be because I'm a border girl.

warren said...

Holy cats! I'd love to see that place! The food looks awesome

Ed said...

Murf - Poutine was what I was thinking of in my comment to Sage. The first I have ever heard of it was on the CBS Sunday Morning program when they were interviewing a Canadian actor, after I had already written this post.

Warren - The food tasted awesome too.