Monday, February 27, 2012

Des Moines Bucs


When someone gives you free tickets to go see something, you go. You don't ask who or what, you just go. Well unless you suspect the person's idea of fun might be a quilting show in which case you might ask who or what before accepting the tickets. But my wife's boss doesn't roll like that and so we took the free tickets which turned out to be for a Des Moines Buccaneers hockey game.

Although this isn't my first hockey game that I have been too, it was my first in Des Moines and thus I really didn't know where they played at. But about halfway to the general vicinity, I saw a car with several Bucs logos plastered all over it so I just followed it right to the arena. As we sat down beside an older couple with someone I presumed was their grandson, I asked if they came to these games often and if they knew if the Buccaneers were any good. They sadly shook their head and said that they had a 15 and 21 record this season and were playing the number 2 team in their league that night. It didn't look good.

In fact, it didn't look good for awhile after the opposing team quickly scored the first goal but soon the Bucs started staging a comeback and soon they were up 5 to 2. The last period started dropping off most of the time and then the penalties started. One by one, three of the Bucs were sent to the penalty box meaning that it was five players to the Buc's two players out on the ice and the opposing team quickly scored another pair of goals. Then the opposing team exchanged their goalie for another offensive player and it was six to two for the last 45 seconds. It certainly was a nail biter but the Bucs held their own and pulled out the victory. You couldn't have asked for a better evening to see a Buccaneers game in the urban jungle. It beat a quilting show any day!


7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I used to follow hockey, but not so much anymore. I went to a STL Blues game a couple of years ago and it was more "rock concert" than sporting event.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I went to a Blues game a few years ago too. Similar to this time, I scored some free tickets though the Blues tickets were in the ring right beneath the box seats which meant that all food and beverages were included in the ticket price. All I had to do was raise me hand and another beer suddenly appeared without any exchange of money. I don't think I ever lost the novelty of that.

Bone said...

Were people rooting for a fight? Because that's all they (we) do at our minor league hockey games.

Ed said...

Bone - They weren't rooting for a fight that I saw but they certainly rooted when the fights were happening. They had a handful of them including one where a Buc got the jersey up over the head of another and proceeded to tenderize him for awhile. It wouldn't have been memorable except that I had just explained to my wife that the goal of a fight was to do exactly that to incapacitate the fists of the opposing player.

malor said...

I don't know... I prefer quilting show...ha.ha.

sage said...

I have never been to a hockey game, but I'm sure I would go to one before heading to the quilting show! Sounds like you had fun.

warren said...

When we lived in Nashville, going to see the Predators games was one of our favorite dates (pathetic, I know). I couldn't care less about it on tv but I love it live!