Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crab Rangoon Pizza: My Way

Being inspired after eating at Fong's Pizza that I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to try making my own version of Crab Rangoon pizza at home. My first attempt was almost right on the money so I decided to post the recipe for all to enjoy.

Dough
I make my own dough because it is really easy to do and it tastes so much better than any premade refridgerated  or just add water versions.

Add a package of yeast and a tsp of sugar to some warm water and let it sit for about ten minutes until there is a lot of foam on top. Add it (and additional water to get a total of around 1-1/4 cups) to four cups of flour, a tsp of salt and a couple Tbsps of olive oil and mix. I use a stand mixture here. Knead a bit and place in oil smeared bowl to rise in a warm place for an hour.

Crab Rangoon topping
Mix together an 8 oz package of cream cheese, an 8 oz can of crab meat that has been drained, a splash of soy sauce, pepper, 1/4 cup minced red onion, 1 minced green onion and 1 minced clove of garlic. Spread on rolled out dough.

Top with strips of crab rangoon wrappers that you cut with a knife. This worked out well but I may try baking them ahead of time next time and adding them after the pizza was cooked. Place in oven set to highest temperature (mine goes to 550 F) on a baking stone and cook until done. Pull it out and drizzle it generously with some sweet chili sauce which is found in most Asian grocery stores. It is sweet and spice and perfects the pizza.

The final product tasted almost just like Fong's version though the wontons on top weren't as evenly golden brown which is why I suspect they precook them and add them after the pizza was done. Good eats!

6 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Photos? Or did you eat all the evidence?

Cheers.

geri said...

This sounds really good. And yes, next time photos please to make us more miserable =)

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Sadly I ate all the evidence. Next time... I promise.

Geri - It was outstanding and I don't recall every saying that about pizza.

sage said...

That does sound good--I also make my own pizza crust

malor said...

sounds good...i'll try it...i don't need t go to Fong's..

Eutychus2 said...

Ed................. I love 'crab rangoons!! as a matter of fact I've been known to literally make myself sick from eating so many at a setting. The good wife has almost banned me from our Chinese buffet restaurant. I am DEFINITELY going to make this pizza...thanks.