Friday, October 28, 2011

Fong's Pizza

Fong's Crab Rangoon Pizza
One of the real perks about spending time in the Urban  Jungle is finding little hole in the wall cafe's in the heart of downtown. Fong's Pizza is one that my wife found with one of her coworkers and my only introduction to it has been once in the over two years we've had this apartment when my wife brought some of it home with her. Whenever my daughter and I are up there on a Friday night, it is always crowded and parking is such a hassle that we go to other locations. Saturdays are my wife's on-call days so those are usually out and Sunday's we are doing our thing to get ready to head back home. However, the last handful of weekends my wife is taking her turn being the head doctor in charge and providing direction to first and second year residents. This means she has to round for a morning on either Saturday or Sunday morning and that is it for the weekend. She sometimes does this on Saturday morning and then drives home for the rest of the weekend but this particular weekend, we decided to drive up Friday evening so we could have more time together before she rounds on Sunday morning. Finally we had a Saturday free for an early lunch (before the crowds) in the heart of the Urban Jungle and we chose to eat at a seafood place called Splash. Fortunately it was closed so as we were debating where to try next, it hit us that we were only about a block and a half from Fong's Pizza and the rest as they say was history.

Fong's Pizza is a very small restaurant that has five or so booths up front along with some bar seating and another five seats in the back and that is it. It is easy to see how seating is very limited and shortly after we got there a little after eleven, it was standing room only for the duration of our stay. The thing I like about Fong's Pizza is that it isn't your standard pizza place. You don't go there for a pepporoni pizza or a mushroom and cheese. Instead you can choose between a Moo Shu Pork, Crab Rangoon, Loaded Baked Potato, Beef & Broccoli, Kung Pao Chicken or a handful of other pizza varieties. About as run of the mill as it gets would be ordering the Taco pizza. I've only had the Crab Rangoon and the Loaded Baked Potato but both have been outstanding, the Crab Rangoon was to die for and that is the one pictured at the top of this post.

I think if I lived in one of the apartments nearby, I would have quickly tried every pizza on the menu and loved them all. They only come in two sizes, small and large but that is perfect. I recommend getting several small pizzas of different flavor and passing them around to maximize the experience. Since I had the crab rangoon pizza the time before and loved it, we got one of those and the loaded baked potato version which came with sides of sour cream. My wife and I ate one slice over a small pizza so we had most of a small pizza in leftovers to take home but that was alright with me.

Hippies sign that I liked hanging on the back wall

6 comments:

R. Sherman said...

It's always great to find these little gems all over. You feel bad about sharing them because you never want them to lose the "small" which is part of their character.

Cheers.

sage said...

Wow, such unique pizzas. If I ever find myself in Iowa and hungry....

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I probably wouldn't have written this post if I had a huge following in the Urban Jungle but fortunately, I had zero the last time I checked.


Sage - I'm anxious to try the others soon.

Murf said...

It sounds like a non-franchised version of California Pizza Kitchen...to which I still only get the pepperoni pizza. If it's not that then it's not real pizza. I'm a traditionalist. ;-)

malor said...

i'm glad that you reviewed this place. i am dying to get there. i don't have the oppostuniy yet. my husbnad's co-workers invited us one time but we are just too busy right now. maybe next time...

kymber said...

it sounds and looks divine.

and i am a bit of a pizza connoiseur myself.

your friend,
kymber