Friday, September 30, 2011


Well it finally happened. After numerous interviews, the same number of job offers, lots of consideration, soul searching and what have you, my wife has inked a contract and will officially be working at a regional hospital in the area by the end of summer next year. Although she is already a doctor, she will at last walk around in a white uniform that just says doctor instead of resident doctor. It is her dream come true and I'm proud of her.

But it does mean some changes will be in order. Although she doesn't need to live within any proximity to the hospital, when she is on call, she has to be within fifteen minutes of the hospital at all times. That means that if she wants to go home during that time, our being about 25 minutes away puts it out of range. They provide nice little hard beds in a small room for just such an occasion but it doesn't beat sleeping in your own bed if you have the option. Secondly, there is a nice Catholic school in that town that we would like to enroll our daughter in that is renown for cranking out top notch students. Finally, I am ready for a change in location. All this means that our house will likely be for sale soon if not already by the time you read this.

Since we have a lot of equity in in our house and not much left to pay for it, plus it being a buyers market right now, we've decided to sell our house first and then try to find a temporary house to buy close to my wife's work. I say temporary because our next planned step will be to buy some land where I can live out a dream of mine, building our own house. I'm so excited that I just can't believe that we are finally making progress towards living this dream. My hope is to use the equity in our current house to purchase the temporary house and within a few years, finish paying it off so that we are debt free. Then we will accumulate money to go towards building our dream house on a cash only basis. Once that is done, I would like to consider my second dream of 'retiring' and starting up my boat building business.

That is well into the future and right now there are a lot of things on my plate that need my immediate attention. Since we really don't need to move until late summer and even then, we really don't need to move if we just resign the fact that once a week my wife will have to sleep at the hospital, I have decided to try selling our current house by myself. We bought it privately without realtors involved and it was pretty painless so I would like to try selling it especially when it means I could save myself 6% commission fees. I am also going to list it with a 'make me move' price which is quite a bit higher than I would actually accept. I think I have a 50/50 chance of getting a bite even at the higher price which is about smack dab in the middle of the prime market here in town. We have hundreds of houses for sale in town but they are either at the low end or the high end. Anything in the middle, the price I'm pricing our house at, doesn't stay on the market for very long. Not to mention that I live in a highly desirable part of town in one of the cheaper houses of the area. Hopefully all this translates into an offer meeting my 'make me move' price.

If we get it, I then will have around 90 days to vacate the premises. We've already looked at quite a few houses in the new area that meet our requirements but just don't 'speak' to us. When we bought our current house, it 'spoke' to us as soon as we saw it and less than six hours later we had a signed offer on it. We didn't get that same feeling on these other houses but being they would hopefully be just temporary, I would be willing to give them a try. All of these houses are currently vacant and have been on the market for awhile so we could probably close on one and move in within the 90 days. That is plan A. Plan B would be to perhaps rent if we couldn't get a price acceptable to us on those houses and couldn't find another one that we like. If we find a place but can't close on it in time to move directly from house to house, well then we would have to go to Plan C which would involve living our of a hotel room for a few weeks, not something I want to consider but would do over living in a cardboard box.

So the ball is most definitely rolling and despite all the work this will require of me outside of my day job, I'm looking forward to it. Now if I can just get someone to give me the 'make me move' price...


geri said...

Oh my goodness, how exciting for all of you and how rewarding! Good luck! I know about houses that speak to you - may you find one soon, or who knows you might have to build that dream house pretty soon =)

R. Sherman said...

Congrats to your wife.

Moving is such a pain. I hope all goes smoothly.

BTW, it sounds like you're in good shape. Too many homes are upside down and people can't sell them. With all the equity, you've got plenty of room to wheel and deal. Plus, although not having your wife around once a week would be a pain, you're not forced to move right now. So, you can be a little picky about the new digs.

Good luck!


sage said...

Congratulations to your wife and to you (who seem to be on the verge of living a dream)!

Mr Lonely said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
edifice rex said...

Congrats and good luck!! I'm sure things will continue to work out great.

kymber said...

hey Ed - you need to update your blog and let us know what has happened since September!

a late congratulations to your wife - i hope that she loves her new job!

thanks for stopping by our blog - and fyi - i added you to our blogroll so get some new posts up!

i would love to hear how you are all doing now!


kymber said...

wow Ed - if my comment kinda' doesn't make sense it is because i thought the post was dated September 2010!!!

sorry about that! am now back-reading all of your previous posts and really enjoying it!

Ed said...

Thanks all. I will pass on the congrats to my wife. On a blogging note, I hope it creates some interesting blogging fodder in the coming months/years.

Kymber - At first I thought it was heavy sarcasm for not having gone more than a week or so without blogging in the last six years. I generally try to get up three posts a week so you have a lot of reading to do, a lot of it boring dribble, if you hope to get caught up.

Ron said...

Congrats, things are moving along. Personally... I'd skip the temporary house - just buy some land and put a trailer on it temporarily... but that's just me... I hate moving.

In any case, it will be nice to get the ball rolling towards where you'd like to be.

kymber said...

Ed - i am still catching up and loving it! awesome blog you got here buddy!

Ed said...

Ron - I've thought about it a lot and I would but two things have held me back. First, this might be a launching point for my wife and not a permanent place. I just want to build one house to my specifications and live in it without worrying if I can ever sell it in the future. Second, I just haven't found the land yet. If some came available, I would buy it for a future home or perhaps just as an investment but alas, I haven't seen it yet.

warren said...

Pretty exciting stuff! Best of luck!

Gidget said... this "regional hospital" with the "little Catholic school" in the town that I think it is?