Friday, August 26, 2011

Omen of Approaching Mid-Life Crisis?


I have one of those free calendars that vendors love to throw at us so that we have their name posted somewhere in front of us. For the month of August, I have been looking at a picture of the car above, a 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429, except for the calendar version has it set in front of what appears to be a school with a lawn full of weeds. Odd but not the point of this blog post. The point of this blog post was that after staring at this picture for a couple of weeks, I thought that if I ever have a mid-life crisis with lots of money, something I don't foresee anytime soon, that might be the type of car I might be interested in. It is not a flashy foreign roadster but a classic American muscle car. It would certainly be a bit more thrilling and flashy to drive than my 14 year old Honda Civic.

Taking it a step farther, I searched for one on Ebay and found several in all sorts of states of repair including a couple exactly like the one above. I closed down my session and thought nothing more of it until a few days later as we were pulling into the urban jungle by a different route than we normally take due to the traffic of the state fair blocking our normal way and we drove right by a hotel that was obviously having some sort of Ford Mustang rally. Their parking lot was jam packed full of classic Mustangs along with at least two that looked like the picture above. I would have taken a picture had I not been bumper deep in traffic and too lazy to turn back.

Even that omen I could ignore but then the very next day after the restaurant incident, which I tried to link to this post only to realize I haven't yet written about it yet, as I was waiting in the park for my daughter to get some fresh air, I happened to notice that across the street was a shop that sold restored "dream cars" and right there in the front window was a blue 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 exactly like the picture above. What are the chances? Is this how a mid-life crisis begins?

[More on the restaurant incident in the next post.]

7 comments:

edifice rex said...

"What are the chances?" Ah yes, I have had that same phrase run through my head many times over the past couple of years.... I certainly felt like I was having some sort of crisis. heh. It definitely is odd how that the thing of our desire can manage to throw it's self up in our face so often.

warren said...

Better a new car than a new woman...that's what my wife always says!

Ed said...

Edifice Rex - It hadn't even crossed my mind about the similarities to the Switchman.

Warren - I think I need to run that phrase by my wife and see if she buys into it!

Ron said...

For me, it's not so much the vehicle as it is the open road. There's a part of me that would love to drive across the desert southwest someday for no particular reason.

Ed said...

Ron - That certainly is a large part of it. I have taken off several times and driven with no destination planned. I turn when I felt like it and stopped whenever I found something interesting. I have seen a lot of interesting towns that way. Back then, I mostly just slept in my car or in a small tent that I brought along. I think the longest I ever did that was five days but they all certainly stuck in my mind.

R. Sherman said...

Buy it! Then see Warren's comment for the explanation.

Cheers.

Bone said...

I never cared all that much for the new Mustangs. But love those old ones -- sixties up through about '74.

We're about the same age, right? If you buy a Mustang, I'll try and buy a motorcycle.

I can hear you now. "We had a pact!"