Monday, July 18, 2011

The Circus! Adults Take Out Your Loan a Day In Advance!

This will be a mostly pictorial post after this first little splurb. A circus came to a nearby town for some reason, my wife and I decided that it would be a good idea to take her to one since she had never been to one. We coughed up $2 before we got to the ticket stand for our program which turned out to be a forty page book of adds with one inserted sheet of the schedule of events.  Also as fortune would have it, it was on a scorching hot day and was outside though we sat in the grandstand which blocked the sun and also any breeze. The three rings of the circus were on the opposite side of the hurricane fence that they put up on the race track to prevent car parts from entering into the onlookers so the view wasn't the greatest. I had a coupon for a free adult ticket with the purchase of another adult ticket but it still cost us $28 dollars to get in. We were there an hour early due to the ticket saying there would be rides for the kids on the elephants before the show. There weren't and so we sat in the oven/grandstand for an hour waiting for the circus and forking over another $9 so our daughter could experience her first cotton candy and snow cone.

The circus was small but fun to watch, especially for the primary target audience of my daughter. They had intermission half way through where they charged another $$$ to ride the elephants or donkeys and get my daughter's face painted and more $ if you went on the sole 'ride' which was an inflatable bouncy house. I saw masses of people flock forward to do so only to turn around when they found out how much it was going to cost them for their three kids. Crying children were everywhere. Fortunately, we convinced our daughter that it was too hot for the bouncy house and just restrained her to a one minute long donkey ride and a butterfly painted on her face to the tune of $10.

Finally towards the end, the had a hole pile of cheap inflatable and stuffed toys that they dumped unceremoniously in front of the grandstand and said that if you bought a $2 coloring book, you got a free toy. Of course after we coughed up another $2 and made our way down there, we found out that we didn't get the choice so instead of the cheap inflatable pink heart my daughter wanted, she got a tiny stuffed tiger the size of my fist and with as much detail as a fist sized rock seen at forty yards. You really had to use your imagination to even see that it was a tiger. Finally it ended and there were more enticements for the kids assuming they had the greenbacks to show but we headed for the door before they could fleece us any more. All told, I think it cost me nearly $60 for two hours entertainment, half of it spent waiting for the animal rides before the show that happened in the middle, but it certainly made an impression on my daughter so I guess it was worth it. I just don't think we will be going to that circus again anytime soon.

Now for the numerous pictures I took:

 Jumping Dogs

 She was literally was right above me as I took this picture. One slip and I would have been a goner.

 Proof of the previous statement. Others with performers above them.

 Finally we both could relax.

It was too hot for the tigers, the only other animal besides dogs, elephants and donkeys present so lots of time was spent involving feats of balance and strength of bipedal animals. 

 BMX tricks... so eighties

 I found the girl in the background quite humorous. Her only function was to dress up sexy and dance while this guy performed.

 Supposedly from Romania. There were no safety nets below them.




 I think this was the same girl on the rope above me in the grandstands.

 Extremely painful to look at.


 BMX boy and his dancing partner were back in the roller skate platform of death.

 This seemed very impressive until the next picture...

 ...that motorcycle isn't going anywhere.

 My daughter's favorite attraction though she didn't want to ride them because they were too tall.





8 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Alas, I've never been a circus fan. My parents took me when I was a kid and I got an earache and sick to my stomach. I think that put me off circuses for the rest of my life.

Cheers.

sage said...

Like Randall, I'm not a circus fan and will never drink the lemonade after reading "Water for Elephants." As for that painful view, the only thing painful must have been your wife smacking you for gawking :)

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I think that was only the second circus I have ever seen, the first being about thirty years ago when I was a kid. I'm okay with going another thirty years of seeing one of this caliber though I might break down and see one of the really large famous ones if I was ever in the area.

Sage - I have never heard of that book. Is it fiction?

Ron said...

Well, it didn't look so bad... but I'm not the one that parted with $60. :)

I'd love to take Abby to a circus around here, but the advertising for the occasional rural tour leads me to believe that it would be a far more severe fleecing than what you describe, with far less... uh... compensating attractions.

geri said...

Tom wants to take Evan to the circus this year. The tickets are expensive but from your blog post, yours was as well. I like the photo with the elephants - it's just how I pictured a circus would be. Philippine circus is nothing like it - especially one that is in a small city.

warren said...

Are all Romanian people crazy?!

Ed said...

Ron - It wasn't so bad but I wish things like this would be upfront and just include everything in the ticket price or sell package deals. When they try to sell you something every ten minutes and you have a just turned five year old who doesn't understand, it didn't sit well with me.

Geri - I'm sure Evan would love it. Our daughter certainly did and still talks about it. Just prepare to spend twice as much as the entrance fee. I would hope that any Philippine circus would have some monkeys. For me, those are still a novelty since I don't see one very often.

Warren - ... that and apparently have very strong teeth!

PhilippinesPhil said...

That's probably worth $60; of course if one of the Romanians had taken a header in front of your young'n you would've paid a heck of a lot more than that for several years of therapy.