Friday, June 24, 2011

...And Now There Is Only One

Frederick Albert Ludwig Buchholz

Life has been too busy to do much genealogical work of late and what time I have had has been spent banging my head against a brick wall of the Baker side of my family which I have blogged about much on these pages over the years. The Baker line in my family tree is tied as the shortest line that I have traced with the Buchholz line. On each of those lines I have gotten to my 3rd great grandfathers and have gotten no farther. Ironically, I have gotten farther with both of their spouses which are often times much harder to trace ancestry. So on a recent weekend while my daughter was entertaining herself watching a movie, I decided to look into the Buchholz line for a change of pace.

My 3rd great grandfather Frederick Albert Ludwig Buchholz is the second German immigrant in my family tree that is sure to have a few more if I can trace them back far enough. I know from census records that he was born in Germany and came to America in 1869 at the age of 18 but have been unable to locate which boat he came on. There have been many Buchholz's in the census records so I suspected he came with others but never had the proof. Well proof of him coming with his parents anyway because the census records do verify that he had at least an uncle or two living with him over the years. I was after the name of his parents though so I could trace my family tree back further.

Frederick Albert Ludwig Buchholz often went by A.F. Buchholz on the census records so I typed the latter into a newspaper archive database and was immediately rewarded with several articles on him from the late 1800's and early 1900's. I learned about an infant daughter that had died that had been unknown to me and a few other family related things. But most importantly I learned that his father (unnamed in the article) died at A.F.'s home in 1897 and was buried in a local cemetery.

Finally proof that A.F. had come to America with his parents. On a roll I then decided to try another new tack for naming them by checking German Emigration records since I have been unable to find American Immigration records on them. Lo and behold, I immediately found A.F. Buchholz's record along with three siblings, his parents and two cousins from his mother's previous marriages (yes plural) that I hadn't known about. Best of all, I now know his parents were Johann Christian Buchholz and Maria Elizabeth Luckviel Busse Crosse Buchholz. Barely thirty minutes into my decision to pursue the Buchholz line, I now had made the Baker line the owner of the title of the shortest line in my family tree.

To add some heavy irony to this story, I sat down a few days later to review the contents of a box that I found while cleaning up our basement storage room so that it looks more presentable should we have to sell it this fall. In that box, I found a family history book on the Thomas line of my family that I forgot I had. It intrigued me since Amanda Thomas married A.F. Buchholz and produced my 2nd great grandmother Maria Buchholz. So I skimmed to the section on Amanda and lo and behold, found a paragraph stating the names of A.F.'s parents and saying that they immigrated to America with him in 1869 though the name of their boat is unknown. My answer has been in the basement of my house for at least five years, before I got started with genealogy, and I never knew about it. Still, I guess it is always more fun to figure out a puzzle by yourself instead of reading about the solution of others.

3 comments:

Vince said...

Well, his parents certainly didn't stint on the tongue twisting. And none of the principalities spring to mind having that combo. Mind you, he might have been named for a bishop.

Ed said...

All his brothers and sisters seems to have Frederick in common. One has Frederick as a middle name and one sister is named Fredericke. Christian seems to be the other common name used. AF's parents didn't have much imagination when it came to naming.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Great job with following that genealogical loose end back to Europe... I forget, did you ever find any relatives on The Mayflower? I used to think it was cool (that it MUST be rare) that I have three directs on "the boat" until I found out that fully 10% of all Americans can trace back to it.