Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Camarones Rancheros

Grainy cellphone pic of Camarones Rancheros

It was the perfect storm. I was craving some really good Mexican food, the kind that makes me want to sit along side some plank sided building deep in the shade with a serape slung over my shoulder and an ice cold beer in my hand while I watched a pistol dual on the street in front with squinted eyes. You know, authentic Mexican food and not the Americanized stuff that is everywhere these days. The other part that makes this storm perfect was that my wife was on call for three weekends in a row meaning I would be spending more time up in the urban jungle than I had for the first third of the year and as luck would have it, just up the road a piece from the BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER.

I have blogged about Los Laureles a couple times and eaten at it a half dozen more. But after my second stop, I have been in a rut and have gotten the chimichanga which is heavenly. When you have found perfection, it is hard to order something else. But for some reason on my last trip, I was in the mood for something new and thus after a few minutes of debate, selected Camarones Rancheros or in English, shrimp in ranch sauce.

At first when the soupy dish was set in front of me, I had my doubts but one bite later I was in heaven one level higher than the chimichanga heaven. The shrimp were lightly cooked so there was no toughness or chewiness and the sauce with jalapeƱos, onions, tomatoes, corn and avocado swimming in broth was a very flavorful combination. With one hand wrapper around a fork and the other holding a corn tortilla, I was in a happy man.

5 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Mexican seafood is often overlooked, especially north of the Rio Grande. Some of the best fish I ever had was on the Yucatan near the border with Belize. You could watch dinner go from boat to plate in about 20 minutes. Very, very good stuff.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I've never ate fish that was less than 30 minutes from the water that wasn't good. I can imagine how it tasted...

warren said...

Is it still craving if you always crave it? I always am in the mood for Mexican food!

Bone said...

Ah, that looks good! You've managed to make me hungry and I just finished supper an hour ago.

My favorite thing to get from our local Mexican restaurant is their shrimp burrito.

malor said...

I will really go there. Now, you convinced me!