Monday, March 7, 2011

In Which I Woke Myself Laughing

It was about 5 AM and I woke myself up howling with laughter, a first for me. I have woken up on the very rare occasion with cold sweats and cowering with fear, I have woke myself up falling from unimaginable heights but I have never woke up laughing. Since my wife and daughter were still sleeping, I stuffed my guffaws with a wad a blanket and got myself under control.

I was in the Middle East staying at the home-away-from home of Richard Engel from NBC Nightly News with my family and my parents. We had just been to look at some impressive religious monument where Richard told me over and over again that I must not take a picture of the prophet Mohammed and we were now walking through the gift shop. I had wandered off by myself into the far back corner and was looking at these exquisite glass masks made to look like tiger faces when my father came walking up behind. He exclaimed that these Indian Tiger masks were extremely rare and reached out to point at one when his finger touched it and it immediately collapsed into a million pieces. I heard my father exclaim shit under his breath and turned quickly to one side hitting another mask and knocking it to the floor where it also shattered into a million pieces. Oops he said.

I silently turned around and started walking in the other direction towards the door pretending like I had seen nothing and heard nothing when out of the corner of my eye, I caught my father hot footing it towards the door like his feet were on fire and his ass was catching. I lost it and as soon as I made it outside the gift shop I started laughing in deep guffaws and that is when I woke up. I'm not sure why I found it funny and I certainly have no clues as to the meaning of the dream. Any Freud's out there?

4 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I got nothing and wouldn't want to venture a guess. I'm sure some shrink somewhere could come up with something, if you just pony up $100 per hour.

Cheers.

geri said...

My husband told me I had a nightmare last night, I was saying "no, no, no!" What it tells me is I now dream in english hehehe

Maybe you could try googling at what those objects in your dreams meant?

sage said...

For 50 bucks an hour, I'll come up with something! Interesting that you were in the Middle East... that ain't Iowa!

Ed said...

R. Sherman & Sage - Everyone seems to want money. The economy definitely is getting rough out there.

Geri - I often wondered if you can get so ingrained into a culture and a language that you could start dreaming in that language. My wife says she dreams in her native dialect. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to conger up tangible results even with Google.