Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sunsets


Being in landlocked Iowa, about as far away from any ocean as one can get from an ocean, I don't get to see sunsets over water. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a sunset over something bigger than a lake more than can be counted on one finger. I've seen lots of sunsets on the farm but it just isn't quite the same. Even those sunsets were now over a decade in the past due to my recent habit of residing in small towns. There are always buildings, trees, and in my current case, even the crest of a hill in the way of sunset unless I physically am driving outside of town in a car. What I'm trying to say is that it just isn't the same, period.


So I guess it should be no surprise that I was at waters edge everyday I was on vacation watching the sun go down and with my camera in hand to record the event. One had to be very quick because like anyone who is heading home after a long day of work, the sun doesn't mess around in getting below the horizon. It seemed as if I could get a handful of shots every night and it was already gone.


I did get up everyday early enough to take a walk before anyone else was on the beach which also allowed me to see the sunrise too but since it occurred between two large time share high rises and behind a bunch of trees, at least from my perspective, I didn't take any pictures. In fact, I didn't even give it much attention.


So after five spectacular sunsets, all that I was able to witness before heading north again, I have determined that if I ever obtain some ocean front property to call home someday, I would probably be found everyday without fail watching the sunrise or sunset and would ultimately end up with several gigabytes of pictures very similar to the ones seen on this post today. But since I am cheap and have a thing about investing money in places that get wiped off the map every now and then by mother nature, I may just have to invest in some sort of web camera mounted on the property of someone who doesn't have the same convictions as I. Know of anyone?

8 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Sigh

I think it's time for a beach vacation.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Cheers.

Vince said...

Truly lovely photos.

But I did laugh a bit with your Landlocked Iowa statement. There just has to be another word. One more apt.
Heck, you're as near the Arctic Ocean as the Atlantic.

sage said...

I like your last photo, the sky reflecting off the breakers. Growing up near the Atlantic, I grew up with sunrises, but if you go to the capes of NC, you'll find that you can see the sunset too!

Bone said...

There's no place like it. The edge of dry land. If I ever get the chance to live by the ocean, I'll take my chances.

Thanks for posting the pics. Might have to push my beach trip up a little this year.

TC said...

Soooooooo jealous!

God I miss the beach. And a lake is NOT the same thing, though it's still better than cityscape.

Murf said...

Besides the cost, aren't you the guy that has also lamented on his blog about people who knowingly build in such locations and then cry when they get flood or hurricane damage? :-)

Beautiful pictures. Where exactly does one go to see a sunset AND sunrise over water? I thought that could only be done from driving across Florida or maybe Michigan?

Kate said...

I found you from Reeds. I love your site. I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!

Ed said...

R. Sherman - For me, this was my first... ocean beach anyway.

Vince - I did forget to mention that landlocked as we are, we are bordered by four magnificent rivers.

Sage - I thought of your childhood a lot during my week on the beach. I just can't imagine growing up near an ocean.

Bone - I never did make it up the coast to Destin but we are already talking of going that way in a couple years during a warmer period when swimming is an option.

Murf - I did which is why I mentioned the webcam, almost the best of both worlds.

Kate - Welcome to my humble blog. It is a lot of ramblings but very therapeutic for me to write.