Monday, December 6, 2010

John F. Kennedy


I'm still in the process of scanning through my old slides and those belonging to my parents. I found this slide evidently taken by my aunt on a trip to Washington D.C. shortly after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Here is a picture taken shortly after his burial between two of his children. Of course it looks much different these days and I had to do some research to verify that this was actually what his grave looked like back then. Now it is paved over with cobblestones and the gravestones have been replaced with heavy bronze plaques set flush to the surface.

7 comments:

sage said...

I saw Kennedy's grave the first time around 1967... I remember the flame, but I thought there were more trees around it (but I was young). This looks like it might be right after the burial.

R. Sherman said...

I saw it in 1994 or so. This photo is neat for documenting what it looked like before the monuments were put in.

Cheers.

Vince said...

I seem to remember reading the bodies were moved. The babies certainly were moved from Mass.

But heavens above this family was certainly misfortune.

Ed said...

Sage - I'm guessing this photo was in the spring of 1964. The tray was labeled 1963 - 1965 so it is a good bet along with the freshness of the grave.

R. Sherman - I visited the grave site sometime in the late 80's and they already had the pavers and inset monuments they do today. That is partly why I had to research it a bit to verify my hunch that it was indeed Kennedy since it looked so much different.

Vince - According to Wikipedia, his children were disinterred from Brookline, MA and Newport, RI and buried beside their father on December 4, 1963. Later on March 14, 1967 all three were moved 20 feet away to accommodate a more stable flame and higher foot traffic.

TC said...

His two children died before he did?

Ed said...

TC - Two of his four children did.

Bone said...

That's a shot I've never seen before.

Every time I watch anything about JFK, Bobby, or JFK Jr. I think I'm still hoping inside that somehow it won't happen.