Monday, October 4, 2010

The Birds and the Bees

We had a good friend of ours who was also the maid of honor at our wedding visit us for a few days. Before her visit, I was preparing our daughter by telling her that a friend would be coming to stay with us for a few days. That was when we had the following conversation.

Me: (She) was at your Mommy and Daddy's wedding?

LA: Right before you made me?

Me: Well... yes, we were married before we made you.

LA: And then I grew in Mommy's tummy?

Me: Yep, you grew in Mommy's tummy.

LA: And then I got out and became human?

Me: Yep, you got out and grew up. (Deliberately ignoring the human part of the comment for the time being.

LA: Yeh!

Me: (Breathing a sigh of relief that this is all the farther we have to go down this path for today.)

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

You can't dodge those questions forever. I remember how distraught our elder son was when he learned we had a life before he came along. How we could do all sorts of fun stuff and not include him was rather distressing.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I know but I was hoping I wouldn't have THE discussion for another year or two.

Bone said...

(Breathing a sigh of relief that this is all the farther we have to go down this path for today.)

Haha. I bet!

One of my childhood memories is lying in bed at night and being able to hear my Dad reading my sister her bedtime story. (We must have had really thin walls.) Then her asking him questions to seemingly no end about anything and everything.

TC said...

I remember taking my niece and nephew out for a few hours one day. Well, when we returned home, Daddy had gotten home while we were gone. And was in the bedroom with Mommy. With the door locked. I was able to put my sleeping niece in her bed right away, but my nephew would NOT go down for a nap until he saw Mommy and Daddy.

I kept trying to get him away from the door, but I'm sure you can guess how well that went! "WHY is their door locked?"

These aren't my kids, I kept thinking. I shouldn't have to have these discussions!

When their Daddy finally came out, he told some whopper about Mommy being in the bathroom, which Hunter didn't believe, but was, luckily enough, still too young to know what she was doing.

I think those "talks" are probably one of the hardest parts of parenting! Congrats on putting it off a little bit longer :)

Murf said...

Nice! It looks like she is pro-choice already (e.g., became human after birth). Way to go, Ed! :-)

Ed said...

Murf - I knew you would get back at me for my comment the other day!

sage said...

Precious stories, glad you wrote it down to remember and tell at her wedding reception!

A Catholic Priest, Protestant Minister and Jewish Rabbi were having lunch on day. The priest and minister got in an arguement over whether life began at conception and birth... after listening for a while the rabbi informed them they both had it wrong, that life began when the kids grew up and the dog died.