Wednesday, October 27, 2010

BBQ of Another Flavor


In my efforts to remain a diverse individual in both thought and actions, we opted to stop in at a tiny little building in the urban jungle that advertised itself as a Chinese BBQ place. It was 6:30 on a Saturday night and there was not another car in the parking lot which wasn't a good sign but we decided to go in anyway. What you see above is probably a third of the entire store. To the right was a Buddha statue and a cash register and behind me and my cellphone (explains the lackluster photo) was one table which I assume was just for waiting customers since our food was put in Styrofoam containers and stashed in a plastic bag before it was handed to us. When my wife asked, they said they serve take out only.

Like most good BBQ places, their menu was straight forward and was hung on the back wall just out of the frame of this picture. Half of it was things in Chinese that I had no idea and the other half was in English. It said in entirety, "Duck, Pork and Chicken" with an option of rice and a price after each one. We got one of each, with rice of course and being there really wasn't a place to eat it in the store nor drinks to wash it down, we drove back home.

The duck which my wife got was okay but a tad on the chewy side I thought. The pork which I got was by itself a little dry and not very flavorful but when dipped in the spicy sauce packed along with every meal it was really good. I gobbled down every bite. My daughter, ever the food critic wouldn't touch the chicken preferring to just stick with the rice but I tasted a bit and it was much like the pork, tasteless unless dipped in the spicy sauce.

Although the experience of having your meat hacked off the hanging display and chopped up right before your eyes was neat and reminded me a lot of the Philippines, I doubt that I will revisit this store very often. If I do, I think I will try coming back around lunch time when I'm guessing their meat was first done and before it dries out from hanging up all afternoon under a heat lamp. Perhaps they would just sell me a bottle of their spicy sauce.

8 comments:

sage said...

looks good! there are some great places to eat like that in Chinatown, San Francisco (generally off the main drag, down an alley).

Vince said...

Could that smoker cabinet you have do something like this. I sure you could get something very interesting if you put a Duck or a Goose.

Ed said...

Sage - I've had some really good BBG in Chicago's Chinatown as well.

Vince - It could though I haven't tried it. Now that you mention it, I would like to buy some duck the next time I go to the urban jungle store for supplies (since they don't sell either goose or duck in any form around small town Iowa) and smoke one. I bet it tastes fabulous!

R. Sherman said...

Keep looking. I've tried Korean BBQ and really liked it.

Cheers.

Murf said...

You sure know how to make a girl vegetarian. :-)

Ed said...

Murf - I hope you are hungry, I'm adding this to the list of eateries we will be visiting when you come to Iowa.

Murf said...

You don't scare me! :-)

TC said...

That makes me think of Spain: the hanging meat I mean. Not my favorite thing.