Monday, August 23, 2010

The Voice of Shaggy and a Foul Mouthed DJ

The Internet is an amazing thing. The other day I was half listening to the Scooby-Doo movie that my daughter was watching and I thought to myself, you know Shaggy sounds an awful lot like Kamal Amin Kasum. Actually, I thought Shaggy sounded an awful lot like Casey Kasum but when I Googled it, I found out that Casey was just short for Kamal Amin. But that is the whole point. Prior to the Internet, I would have left it at the thought that Shaggy sounded like Casey Kasum but with the Internet, I was able to confirm that he indeed was in a matter of minutes. But as happens most of the time when I Google an answer, I get an information overload of stuff that never crossed my mind. I didn't know Casey was born to Lebanese Druze parents and was actually named Kamal Amin. I still don't know who the Druze were because I didn't Google that part. I instead got caught up that Casey is quite notorious for several profanity laced tirades on YouTube. One is when he was doing one of his famous song dedications and it was for a dead dog after an up-tempo song and lets say Casey had a hard time making the transition. Up until that moment when I initiated the Google search, I only knew Casey as that wonderful unique voice behind American Top 40 and Casey's Top 40 countdowns. If you had asked me, I would have said he was some older white guy who perhaps smoked in his youth. Now, all I am going to remember him as is some foul mouth son of Lebanese-Druze ancestry who can't stop using the F-bomb during a dedication for a dead dog and the voice of Shaggy on Scooby-Doo. And to bring this short post of nothing important full circle, did you know that Scooby's proposed name was Too Much? Google does.

6 comments:

R. Sherman said...

Yeah. There's a lot of amazing stuff out there; it's almost overwhelming.

(BTW, the Druze are an interesting people. They're the only Arab peoples who voluntarily serve in the Israeli army.)

Cheers.

sage said...

I learn something new every day! I knew Casey Kasen wasn't his real name, but that was about it. But then, I haven't listened to him in decades and didn't know he was still around.

PhilippinesPhil said...

I knew he was an Arab like back in the 70s. I think I saw him on a talk show. As far as f bombs, grrrrr. I won't engage long in any conversation with people who can't speak without profanity. Its self indulgent, lazy and inconsiderate. Filipinos don't use the word. I LOVE that. On the other hand, MOST Americans use it for EVERY part of speech. I can hardly stand to be around my own countrymen anymore. It didn't used to be like this.

geri said...

Love the internet that way too. I always say to Tom, "I'll go ask the internet" =)

Evan loves Scooby Doo and scary stories =)

TC said...

Casey plays Shaggy?!?!?!

Bone said...

I grew up with the Casey Kasem countdown so it will always have a special place in my heart. I knew about Scooby-Doo and that that wasn't his name, but had no clue about the YouTubes.

I think it's pretty common for radio guys not to use their real names. I mean, you telling me Shadoe Stevens is his name? So I had to look up Shadoe Stevens and Rick Dees.

Their real names, according to Wikipedia: Terry Ingstad, and Rigdon Osmond Dees III, respectively.