Monday, July 19, 2010

Acting Koi


One of the perks of living in the Urban Jungle has been buying and using season passes to the local zoo. It isn't very big and the selection of animals is small. In fact, even if you mosey and read every word of every sign as well as spend some time admiring every animal, you are still only talking about an outlay of perhaps two hours. Three if you throw in lunch. But I have yet to tire of it.

It seems as if every time we go, my daughter seems to "discover" a new animal that she really hadn't paid attention to before and as any parents knows, one of the best perks of being a parent is seeing the world again through their child's eyes. On this particular trip, my daughter discovered the koi pond.

As you can see, the koi pond is packed pretty tight though in reality, they are only that tight due to their gluttony. The pond covers probably an acre or two but there is a wooden dock that encloses a spot of 100 square feet where people can walk and feed the fish. My daughter decided she wanted to feed the fish and so I fished through my pockets and came up with one quarter. I put it in the dispensing unit, turned the handle and nothing came out. The feed was caked up inside. But my daughter really had her mind set on feeding the fish. So being the good dad that I am, I spent the next fifteen minutes picking up individual nuggets of fish food that had spilled down onto the docks and giving them to my daughter to toss into the pond. I am happy to report that my efforts were not wasted. Not one single nugget of food made it to the bottom of the pond, many of the fish went home that evening just a little bit fuller, and the dock was a little bit cleaner. My hands however, smelled a bit fishy.

video

11 comments:

sage said...

That's a neat photo and you're a good dad!

R. Sherman said...

The things we do for our kids. I miss the stage where every moment is a new discovery, but I suppose developing an attention span is a sign of growing up.

Cheers.

Vince said...

The truly hilarious thing about Koi. They love pure muddy water, the muddier the better. And they are not at all happy as riverine jewels in the crystal clear for very long.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Thinking about putting in a much smaller version of one of those. Sounds like me and abbie have fish lovin in common.

geri said...

lol I had to laugh imgining you picking up those nuggets one by one. But their requests are so hard to resist and Little Abbey's laugh was completely worth it =)

Eutychus2 said...

Ha! Ha! I love your daughter's laugh. We took a few of our grandkids to Chucky Cheese saturday past, and just to hear them laugh made our hearts full of joy!! Ed, do you suppose the Koi's gluttony is genetic? ... I mean you'd think their jaws would snap from so much action.

TC said...

Oh man, how precious!

Ed said...

Vince - I hadn't known that but thinking back, I've only seen them in murky waters.

Eutychus2 - I'm not sure but there is a strong case they learn from parental behavior.

Beau said...

That's a bunch of koi! She must have really enjoyed it. We've got "koi carp" in our pond... a combination of color and size. Right now they're about 40 pounds or more! Never fed them however...

Murf said...

I was originally scared that this was another story on bad cuisine. :-)

Ed said...

Beau - Wow! 40 lbs? I didn't know they got that big. I would say the biggest of these might be 8 to 10 lbs.

Murf - I would eat a koi if opportunity presents itself. I bet they taste like... fish. ;)