Monday, June 7, 2010

Iron & Lace


... And if you come all this way just to see an old rusty bridge, you simply can't go without walking across the street for a visit to Iron & Lace. Bill & Betty Printy are the artists of the store and though I don't see them there often, I do see them from time to time, especially during local celebrations. I first became familiar with the store due to the classic example of Betty's pottery shown in the picture above. She uses Queen Anne's Lace to make those intricate designs and my mom owns a set of those in the shade of blue shown above. If you ever need to buy a gift for me, stop in at the store and just about anything will work.


But at the top of my wish list right now is the wine rack above that Bill fashioned in his blacksmith shop in the other half of the Iron & Lace building. His ability to turn wrought iron into works of art astound me and make me somewhat envious. I have always wanted to build a house someday and when I do, I will design around the wine rack above. I rarely even drink wine so that gives you some idea at how much I admire his work.


Although this isn't my favorite wine rack in the store, I thought the picture was a good example of both of their specialties side by side.


New to me the last time I stopped at the store during my past vacation was that Betty is evidently branching out to make other things out of pottery. In the past, all I remember were sets of kitchen pottery but on this trip, there were only a couple sets of those and most of the other space was devoted to things like the Nativity set above. I'm guessing some of that was due to a local festival going on the very next weekend. People are much more likely to shell out a few bucks for a figurine or knick-knack than the many hundred bucks it would take to get a set of the fancier pieces of kitchen type pottery.

12 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I can only hope that in this economy, such folks can keep it going. I'm sure they appreciate the free advertising.

(BTW, I second your opinion on the wine rack.)

Cheers.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Cool stuff...

geri said...

I love everything in the picture. That blue jug is very attractive!

Beau said...

Looks like a wonderful place- I would like to have a shop like that, so I'll let you know when I make the trip for a visit! :)

Ed said...

R. Sherman - Although they are open seven days a week during the summer, during the winter they keep only weekend hours and the owners are semi-retired anyway.

Phil - I think so too.

Geri - The Queen Anne's Lace patterns just can't be beat.

Sage - I've bought lots of pottery as gifts but never for myself. I need to remedy that.

Murf - I've been having issues today and couldn't create new blogs posts. That one was written last week and published automatically so that must not have been affected.

Murf said...

You're famous on my Facebook page. I posed the question to all female car owners regarding the owner's manual and where it is located. I will tally up the responses and let you know in the next day or two. ;-)

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I am pretty sure that if the nativity was made by the lady there, that my wife would shell out major bucks to get it. It is nice, and if in a limited edition, she should do better there than in most items. (Janet has so many nativities that when I provided the list for insurance I had to go back and take picture to prove that there were that many.)

Ed said...

Murf - I've already had my 15 minutes of fame. Am I famous enough for another 15 minutes?

3 Score - They definitely don't mass produce and I don't think I saw two things alike when I was in their shop the last time but I'm guessing they have several similar sets out there.

Eutychus2 said...

Ed..... I too love pottery, and second Sherm's affirmation of the beautiful wine race - you could buy it now, and then wait for the chance to hang it, rather than wait and lose out on it!

Murf..... Could you place those results of the poll where the rest of us can see them also?! thanks.

I had issues with the blogger site yesterday, but they're all cleared up now.

Murf said...

Ed - You are nearly that famous again.

E2 - They will be. I'm leaving the poll up for a few more days just in case I get some stragglers.

TC said...

Oh man, that's some gorgeous stuff.

You can see, even from a few photos, that it's the type of stuff that lasts.

Bone said...

How very cool! I've never even bought a bottle of wine, but that is some neat work.

I was just thinking these types of businesses are probably getting scarcer and scarcer. I'm glad to read about one that is still alive.