Monday, April 12, 2010

Urban Jungle Architecture


One of the interesting things about spending more time in the urban jungle is going on walks. Of my time spent so far in rural Iowa, I have seen all the sites countless times and really only notice the things that change, i.e. seasons and remodeling projects to houses along the way. In the urban jungle, I have more of a selection of routes and being still new to the area, have yet to fully see everything along the routes I have repeated. But these two houses really stand out because of their castle-like appearances. The one below is still being renovated but could be an extraordinary house if completed in a similar fashion as the house above. In both cases, I couldn't tell you what the houses across the street or next door look like simply because these two houses capture all my focus every time I walk by. I wouldn't be surprised to walk by someday and see a moat around one of them.


10 comments:

R. Sherman said...

The first one has an interesting combination of styles. I find the melding of old and new pretty interesting, and worthwhile, as opposed to the "bulldoze and rebuild" mindset.

Cheers.

Ed said...

R. Sherman - I've often pondered about people of the future looking at houses still remaining in an old suburb and pondering the architecture. Will they find it interesting or will they simply refer to our modern housing style as occurring during the "cookie cutter years."

Eutychus2 said...

I like the structures you've photo'd. I like architecture that has character; it would be interesting to know if the first house belonged to a banker or investor, and if the second belonged to a writer or an artist?! uhm.
thanks for sharing

Murf said...

I'd never live in a historic home (I'd rather build a new one that looks old) but I do appreciate them from the outside. That top one looks like it could be apartments. Is it or is it a single family home?

Beau said...

I've always wanted to live in a victorian home of some kind, but the enormity of restoring one is just not something I could do at this point. Nice pictures!

sage said...

Neat houses, but they both have mixed architecture which is a little like "mixed metaphors." I enjoy touring old parts of cities looking at houses.

Ed said...

Eutychus2 - A lot of houses in the area were boarding houses in days of old and quite a few have names on them but these two don't.

Murf - The top one looks to me like it has been a boarding house in the past and not a single residence. The bottom one looks like it was a single residence but judging by the parking lot and cars behind it, is now an apartment building.

Beau - I've been watching a fellow repair a victorian house up the street for the last six years. No thanks!

Sage - I've never been one for purity in architecture. If it looks nice to me, then I'm interested. However, these are all in a historic section of town so they have strict codes in how they can fix up their houses.

Bone said...

I've always wanted to tour an old castle. Maybe someday.

Moats: the original home invasion deterrent.

Frank D. Myers said...

The second house has had quite a history since it was gutted by fire several years ago. The owners declined to give up on it, but every few years neighborhood improvers or others decided they're not making enough progress or fast enough progress and then the fur flies. It's good to see the old house still is hanging on.

TC said...

There are castles in Iowa?!?! Who knew? :)