Monday, March 29, 2010

Discovery Toys

I was clear across the office when I heard my cellphone still attached and charging at my computer commence to play the opening rifts of Smoke On the Water. It never rings and it took me a moment to place that it was my phone that was making the music. Nobody knows my number, on purpose, except for my wife, also on purpose, so it must be her. Why is she calling me in the middle of her shift at the hospital?

The above picture is the reason she was calling. An outfit named Discovery Toys had set up a booth in the hospital lobby selling toys for children. Actually they were selling two different toys. A doll for girls and the above "Motor Works" for boys. My wife proceeded to describe the toys to me and ask which I thought Little Abbey might like. I immediately knew that the one for the boys is the one she would like. Then my wife asked if she could buy them because they were terribly expensive. How much I asked? $30 was her answer. Honey, you don't need to ask my permission to spend $30 or even $300. However is there was three zeroes after the three then I might like some input on it. Did I mention my wife is a Filipina and thus very thrifty?

So Little Abbey found these waiting for her at our apartment in the Urban Jungle and really enjoyed putting them together into the motor vehicles in the picture below. She still has a hard time figuring out where the pieces go but she is real handy with the cordless impact gun and loves to put in and take out all the plastic screws.

10 comments:

R. Sherman said...

I recall having several of those toys over the years. They do tend to keep the kids enthralled. I thought they were good buys, inasmuch as they lasted a long time. We wound up giving them away but they were still in great condition.

Cheers.

Vince said...

Kinder Eggs have something similar in them.

Beau said...

That's pretty neat. And thrifty is wonderful :)

sage said...

"Smoke on the Water!" you're not old enough for Deep Purple (that was my brother's favorite song and he had the album and we about wore it through!

Neat toys, I like the drill

Ed said...

R. Sherman - My daughter has definitely got some mileage out of them already.

Vince - Haven't heard of those.

Beau - As I tell my wife, reason number 1324 why I love her.

Sage - Living isolated on a rural farm with only one station that we could get on the stereo, I grew up on what my father called classic rock for himself. Not sure what they call it these days. So my taste in music is always questioned by my peers.

geri said...

Little Abbey preference of toys reminds me of my best friend who eventually became an engineer. Evan is not into putting toys together, Little Abbey definitely gets it from you.

Murf said...

A few more toys like this and you will have a partner when you tackle the other bedroom or bathroom.

I can't believe she asked your permission. I'm going to have to take her aside this summer....
;-)

TC said...

Yeah, those would have been the toy I preferred, too. Good choice!

I should be as thrifty as she is...can I sign up for lessons?

Eutychus2 said...

Ed...
That little Abbie will teaching you soon, if you're not a little more selective about the toys you give her; your wife is pretty clever.

Eutychus2 said...

Ed...
Didn't finish my prior response. Your wife is pretty clever, she outfoxed murf!