Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The One About the Apocalypse, a Quick Wedding and a Gratuitous Sunset Picture

Sunset at Arie den Boer Aboreteum

The morning of my brother's wedding, we awoke to a world coated in white. I had so looked forward to going south to the land of warm sunshine during our winter and instead found myself in the first snow in Alabama since 1993. There was maybe a quarter inch of the stuff and it was gone before I was through with my shower and out the door but I still found it funny. The rest of the day I heard stories of the "big snowstorm" and how people had been worried enough to drive to the store in their four wheel drive vehicle to stock up on supplies just in case it lingered. I wondered what they would have thought had they experienced a foot of the stuff with 50 mph winds less than five days later like I did. Probably they would have assumed hell had frozen over and the apocalypse had come.

I've been to a lot of weddings but this was the first wedding I had been 'in' since my uncles wedding back when I was barely out of diapers. Needless to say since I was going to be standing the entire time, I was hoping for a short wedding ceremony. Though the ceremony wasn't until 3:30, a half hour after the start of the Alabama-Auburn game I learned, we had to be there at one o'clock for the taking of pictures. Two hours later when the pictures were done, I was more than ready to enjoy the comforts of the pew before the ceremony but alas it was not to be. I had to get the ring to hand to my brother and some last minute instructions before showing up my position just outside the side door of the chapel ten minutes before show time. Fortunately, the actually ceremony once we entered the chapel was all of five minutes long and that included the two minutes it took for the bride to walk down the aisle. Short and sweet was an understatement but suited me just fine. My wife was a little put out because our old digital camera couldn't get focused in time for the traditional kissing the bride shot. She was able to get two or three shots before that of the actual ceremony before the buzzer sounded and I found myself trailing the two bride's maids up the aisle.

After it was all said and done, we loaded up the vehicles and drove back to the newly wed couple's house for a dinner of BBQ and conversation. One more item of note was that one family showed up about twenty minutes late to the ceremony and found the doors already locked. It was that quick!

Programming Note: I am on vacation from now until January 4th. I am planning on being close to home the entire time but may not make it onto blogger as often as normal so bear with me if I don't answer comments or leave them on your blog quite as often as normal. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

R. Sherman said...

My kind of wedding: short followed by the words, "open bar."

Merry Christmas to you and yours plus a prosperous New Year!

Cheers.

Eutychus2 said...

Ed..
Have a very Merrrrrrry Christmas; and I've noted BBQ seems to sneak into just about all your meals. Weddings are often like special meals, they take longer to prepare for than to execute.

sage said...

I caught your comment on Bone's blog about the wedding and the Alabama/Auburn football game. I can only assume that not only is your brother not from Alabama, but neither was the pastor who officiated! Enjoy your time off.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I enjoyed the wedding (or at least your description). Have a nice Holiday. I wish I still had kids as young as Little Abbey to enjoy Christmas. They make it special.

Beau said...

Merry Christmas indeed! Have a wonderful holiday and a New Year :)

Ed said...

R. Sherman - My brother makes wine so we had an open bar of sorts later.

Eutychus2 - I never grew up with BBQ and don't often make (at least not very well) at home so I like trying some really good BBQ on the road when I can find a place.

Sage - You are correct on the first count. The minister/justice of the peace was native which also perhaps explains the shortness of the ceremony.

Three Score - They certainly do. I'm really getting into her enthusiasm.

Beau & All - Merry Christmas!

Bone said...

Getting married on the day of the Alabama/Auburn game? Whoever heard of such!

I saw a story a couple of weeks ago where an Alabama attorney filed a motion to delay a trial until after the national championship game with Texas.