Monday, September 7, 2009

Dancing Queen

Little Abbey is not a very sociable girl. Sometimes when I take her to a playground, she will refuse to play when other kids show up. Whenever introduced to someone her age or a group of someones her age, it takes a little while for her to warm up to them. I'm assuming this is fairly common among three year olds so I haven't been worried. However, when I see her immediately come out of her shell on occasion, it takes me by surprise and I was certainly surprised a couple weeks ago.

Back from a birthday party for a four-year-old friend of hers where she was her typically wall flower around the other kids, we stopped downtown to listen to a band play music near the square. When we arrived, they were just getting ready to start and since the sun was still up, the crowd was non-existent. The dance floor that they set up in the middle of the street was barren, at least until the band started playing music.

Little Abbey decided she wanted to dance and proceeded to dance by jumping up and down, twirling in circles, doing the twist, 'raising the roof', doing leg kicks and occasionally bending over to look at us in-between her legs. Although this was terribly cute and made me so proud of her, I still wasn't really shocked as I had seen all her ‘moves’, which she frequently does at the conclusion of any episode of Dora the Explorer. What really shocked me was that she kept it up for the entire song, and the next, and the next and so on. In fact, several songs into the set, the band mentioned what wonderful pair of dancers they had (at the time, a two year old had joined Little Abbey) and that they hoped others would join in.

As dark fell and the crowd grew, others did join in and still Little Abbey kept on dancing only breaking now and then in-between songs to drink some water or eat some popcorn. Finally about an hour and a half into the dance, there were enough adults dancing that she was occasionally bumped into. The last one right before intermission bumped her a little harder than the rest and she tearfully told us that she got bumped into by 'that much' holding up her hands to indicate a distance. She sat on my lap nursing her bruised ego while the band finished up the song and announced an intermission. Little Abbey looked really tired so it wasn't a surprise when she announced that she was ready to go home.

I'm not sure where she learned how to dance since neither her mother nor myself are much in the way of dancing. We've always said we would take dancing lessons someday but someday has yet to arrive. I did teach her how to 'raise the roof' and her mother showed her how to 'shake her booty' which looks like the twist, but other than that, the moves were pretty much her own. The two year old that mostly followed Little Abbey around and ate our popcorn, did bend over and look between her legs once. Little Abbey, ever the sponge, saw her and adopted it as her own from then on out. I have a video of Little Abbey dancing and love to watch it but I don't want it to go viral for the sake of Little Abbey's future and so I won't post it. You will just have to take my word for it.

8 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ah she is so adorable.

Murf said...

Interesting about her non-interaction with others kids. A friend of mine has a 3 year old that just started going to daycare all day and he was flagged as possibly autistic because as an only child, he knows how to play by himself unlike some of the other kids in his class. She has since moved him to a different school but it's an interesting concept that when you teach your child to play by themselves and they are content doing so, they might be labeled.

Sage said...

Let me warn you, the older they get, the more worried you get about that dancing that seems almost inate when they're three! She does sound cute.

R. Sherman said...

This post reminded me of my daughter who was the first born, now 18.

Sigh

Where did the time go?

Cheers.

Ed said...

Mother Hen - That's what worries me. I hope it wears off by dating age!

Murf - Its funny that you mention it because a close friend of ours had a baby a month before us. Her son is autistic and it really shows now when he plays with Little Abbey. Fortunately for us, she may be a wallflower initially but she comes out of it fairly quickly.

Sage - I here you. The gray hairs are already beginning.

R. Sherman - ...and more importantly, how can we get that time back?

geri said...

So cute! That must have been really fun for you and Mrs. Abbey to watch. Evan is his father's son, he doesn't dance at all - I wish he would.

Murf said...

And let this also bring you comfort...I didn't talk much growing up. In fact, the pediatrician thought it would be best if I waited another year before starting school. My parents didn't listen to her and look what I've turned into! ;-)

Three Score and Ten or more said...

just a geneaology post reply (I loved the story of Little Abbey's dance, but wanted to answer your comment.) Janet is decended from Throope Chapman through his grandson Welcome. They were in Bennington, Vermont from the 1780's to the turn of the century. John Chapman was an offshoot of that line. There is some stuff about them in Wikipedia. (not all completely accurate by our records, but who knows about our record's accuracy.) Might touch on your Chapman line.