Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day


What you are looking at is three-fourths of a giagantic patty melt that my wife and daughter made me for father's day. Am I loved or what? I have always love patty melt hamburgers with the rye bread, onions, cheese and beef and have gauged a restaurant on how well they make theirs. The new smoke free bar (thank you again Iowa) just down the road makes one mean patty melt. The Drake Diner in Des Moines, well known for their food makes a lousy patty melt and thus why I am not likely to ever go back. People in Des Moines obviously have inferior taste buds if they put up with that slop they call a patty melt. Don't worry, I barely was able to choke down half of that patty melt in the above picture, all of it homemade. My wife and daughter ate another fourth which leaves me with the final fourth today for lunch. In case I failed to mention it at the beginning of this post, I am one loved father!

11 comments:

R. Sherman said...

That thing is huge. I gained weight just looking at the picture.

Cheers.

Woody said...

My God...it damn near fills the plate!

Happy Fathers Day

geri said...

I think the smoke free bars/restaurants are the best thing that happened to Chicago too. That patty melt is ginormous and the patty looks like it's an inch thick!!!

Beau said...

That looks good... I think I could eat most of it!

sage said...

Looks good! Glad you had a great Father's Day and felt loved!

Murf said...

You know from this angle, it kind of looks like they're trying to kill you but potato/potato.
:-)

The Real Mother Hen said...

Send them over! :)
Not the sandwich, but your wife and daughter, so they can make fresh for me here :)

Yeah right - that's called wishful thinking!

TC said...

I'm with R. Sherman... I gained a few pounds just looking at the pic :)

Hope you had a wonderful Father's Day!

Ed Abbey said...

R. Sherman - I realized after viewing the comments that I hadn't really put anything in the picture for scale. I'm guessing it was a foot in diameter.

Beau - I wish I had been able to eat most of it but half was all I could manage and that forced me to skip supper seven hours later.

Sage - It was.

Murf - I thought that too. Perhaps I should check my life insurance policy for sudden increases of which I am not aware.

Mother Hen - Unfortunately my wife begins residency today and won't be available for a few years.

TC - I don't think I gained long term but I did have to go with the elastic waistband the rest of the day.

Ron said...

Looks mighty good. :)

Ron

PhilippinesPhil said...

Geez, i MISS the food in the states. Thanks for the reminder...