Friday, April 3, 2009

The Great Garage Remodel: Part Three

I am out of town this week and away from internet or email so I won't be around to answer any comments or visit your blogs. Eventually when I get back, I'll get caught up as I always do. Until then, here is a part three of a series on my garage remodeling project.


The sheathing of that wall with OSB was easily done and soon I had two coats of primer white slathered on. I planned on reusing all the upper cabinets and give the old lower cabinets to a coworker who had a good use for them in his basement. The cabinets were light enough that I thought I could hang them myself and I did but it took some properly sized wood on top of a floor jack and some strategically placed clamps. Of course this being a 40-year old garage, nothing was square but I did the best I could do. The end result is definitely good enough for a garage. Then I started on what I most wanted out of this project, a 16-foot long workbench that spanned the entire back end of my garage. I used the salvaged pieces of my old workbench along with numerous other scraps along with some of the new wood I had purchased. Thanks to Ron over at Hickory Hills, I don't waste much these days.

I built a place to roll my tool chest under the surface, put my scrap bin, and my table saw so I could get it out of the way and free up some wall space. I also built a shelf along one end for those big items that won't fit in the cabinets, were two heavy for the wall racks and I didn't want on top of the workbench. The long cabinet that had been mounted sideways over my workbench to give me more storage space but never worked out very well due to doors that hinged open from the top was turned the proper way and reset on the west wall. With that done, I was able to pick up most of the stuff stacked in the center of the garage and store it in its final resting place. All that was left was the east wall which was previously drywalled. I had briefly considered replacing it but there wasn't in real good reason to do so. The only messy wire on the wall was my coaxial cable going into the living room which I would have liked to run in the studs but it wasn't worth the effort or cost. So I just stripped everything off the wall and painted it with a couple coats of primer white.


As I mentioned in a previous blog, my company had thrown away some metal shelving with sliding pans that was just too good to pass up so I snagged it out of the dumpster and hauled it home. It went along the east wall for storage of catagorical supplies like fasteners, electrical stuff, plumbing stuff, hangers, etc. This freed up a lot of what had been stored very disorganized in my overhead cabinets. I also built a vertical storage rack for oddball pieces of trim that I always seem to have leftover at the end of projects but am too cheap to throw away. I built my fireplace mantle out of such trim when I remodeled the greatroom so I may use it someday in the future. I moved the light switch closer to the door but left the old switch in just to fill the void in the drywall and I hung everything else up using some old shelving brackets that I had saved when I remodeled various closets in our house.


The last step in my garage remodeling project was building a storage rack for the few leftover sheets of OSB, two by sticks and some drywall that I use for patches. The only place to put it to maximize storage in an under used place was below the rafters and above the garage door. I scabbed down from the rafters to a 2x4 which I drilled some evenly spaced holes in to provide more support than a rafter spaced every 5 feet which is what I had before. I bought some galvanized pipe on sale and put it through the holes and put caps on each end to prevent them from sliding out. As you can see, I bought the store out of end caps and had to use two elbows to finish the job but it works. There are a couple extra boards that go side-to-side which were added to straighten out some twisted rafters. The end result is a space saving rack that I can easily slide a full sheet of plywood into or out of for future use and it is well supported so there isn't any bowing. I consider it my proudest achievement.



Now I have a well lit garage that doubles as my shop with plenty of workbench space and plenty of storage space, at least for now. The only thing left to do is to buy a couple of cheopo speakers to replace the two that I have above the overhead cabinets on the north wall. One of them has evidently blown and only works for a few minutes when I turn on the radio and then just emits static. One speaker is good enough for now but good used speakers are a dime a dozen at garage sales in the spring, especially when everyone is updating their entertainment centers with new digital flatscreen televisions. Now all I have left to do it to make use of all this work so I am carefully scouring blogs for ideas. Until then, I will just sit back awhile and admire a clean and uncluttered garage/shop.

7 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ok, I hate to say the obvious after you've done such a hard work. But dude, you forgot to build one big giant storage to keep Little Abbey's toys, paintings, tutus, imaginary tooth fairy, and all the stars she would be collecting from kindergarten to university! :)

Ron said...

Very impressive! I like the overhead rack, nice to get all of that stuff off of the floor. I enjoyed all the ways you used odds and ends, it's a challenge but a fun one, in my opinion. I dream about my long uncluttered workbench-to-be. :)

Ron

TC said...

The more I read, the more I'm glad Murf and I didn't show up.

I mean, sorry I couldn't make it! I'd have loved to help you! O:)

Beau said...

You were quite industrious the last month! Must feel great-

Sage said...

I like the way you used that pipe as support. But you worked too hard while you had free time!!!

Ed Abbey said...

Mother Hen - I already have one of those. It is the fourth bedroom in the basement a.k.a. the junk room.

Ron - I really loved that rack. I really need a place to store a sheet or two of plywood, some two-by lumber and some drywall. It saves on trips to the store for little projects.

TC - I would have put the two of you to work painting. That is one job that I don't really care for.

Beau - It would feel better if I could spend some time out there enjoying it but I've been away on business. Soon perhaps.

Sage - I know. I didn't get but perhaps 50 pages read the entire month. But it had to be done... in my mind anyway.

R. Sherman said...

Good work. I've got one you could tackle next.

Cheers.