Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Waiting for the Third Stroke of Luck


I woke up to an empty bed this morning, which isn't one of the strokes of luck I am referring to in the title of this blog post. I heard my wife chattering away in Tagalog on the downstairs phone and due to the hour, I knew she was talking to someone in the Philippines since they are 12 to 13 hours ahead of us time wise depending on the complexities of Daylight Savings time. I thought nothing of it and proceeded to get ready for work.

When I finally made it down to the kitchen, my wife turned towards me and told me Tita Daisy got a visa. My draw hit the floor. In this post 9/11 world, 10-year visas have been impossible to get. It took lots applications, lots of reasons to enter the United States and most importantly lots of reasons to leave the country after you arrived. Mrs. Abbey's mother took three attempts, all of which cost lots of money whether or not they are successful, and only after infusing a bank account in the Philippines and getting better with our excuses, she was given a 10-year multiple entry visa. Meanwhile, others getting interviewed on the same day who had been coming to the U.S. for twenty and thirty years, got denied while simply getting a renewal. So why, Mrs. Abbey's mother's sister, who has been single all her life and thus has no children, no job (she took care of Mrs. Abbey's grandmother up until a couple years ago when she passed on), and no money get a 10-year multiple entry visa? I haven't a clue. I'm still in shock. Now I have to start scrounging up airfare for her to fly here sometime next year.

The second stroke of luck arrived in a phone call about 20 minutes after my wife left for work. Since we are hovering on the freezing mark of the thermometer and it is pouring rain, I assumed the worst as I picked up the phone. My definition of worst when the first words out of her mouth were, "we just hit a deer." My wife carpools with a lady who lives on the outside of town to another town where they catch a vanpool with twelve others to ride to a larger town farther away. By the timing of the call, they hadn't yet reached their vanpool yet so I asked it she and her co-rider were okay. They were but the vehicle hit the deer directly. Whose car was it? It turned out it was her co-rider's turn to drive and so stroke of luck number two hit home.

I'm still waiting for the third stroke of luck.

7 comments:

sage said...

I hope #3 is something good and glad your wife and friend are okay.

Last night, I came home at 9 after a meeting and everything was a sheet of ice. Luckily, I was the only fool on the road. But it warmed up and this morning it was 35 degrees and rain. Yucky weather!

R. Sherman said...

Thank God, the deer collision didn't turn out worse.

Cheers.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Wow, I think because you worship me, your missus is protected by my power :) ah what a nonsense, but I still like to think that way! Lol!

With a B1/B2 multiple-entry, usually the immigration officers gives 3-mth at the point of entry (gone were the days when B1/B2 automatically qualified for 6 mths), but for senior folks, they do give 6-mth from time to time, because of the money spent by seniors here.

Ed Abbey said...

Sage and R. Sherman - I guess a dented bumper was the total damage. It would have been worse in my wife's car.

Mother Hen - I think the last time my MIL came, she only could stay a max of 90 days. I'm not sure if my wife's aunt has the same provision but I'm guessing so. Still it is better than the previous six years of nothing but denials and cashing my checks.

The Real Mother Hen said...

They gave your MIL only 90 days? That makes my blood boil actually. That's discrimination in the worst form - treating other nationalities as if they were dirt. Last year I flew back just to accompany my ma here - because I absolutely refused to let her have any mistreatment by some pencil pushers at the point of entry. No way!! If they dare to say anything nasty to my ma or just give her 90 days, I would have chopped their heads off, all thanks to the American education btw :)

Beau said...

Glad all were safe... beyond the car I would count that as #3! Cold and wet here too...

Ed Abbey said...

Mother Hen - It was a condition since the day the visa was granted and not given at her entry into the U.S.

Beau - You are absolutely right. Good luck does and did come in threes.