Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mad As Hell

Finally the debates are over with and we can go back to hearing our handful of nightly sound clips from both sides and not feel forced to sit through ninety minutes of exactly the same thing as the previous two presidential and one vice presidential debate. They just say the same things over and over. Why exactly did John McCain want ten debates? He certainly hasn't even used part of one debate to his advantage.

So what is my impression of last night’s debate? Let me some it up by paraphrasing the candidates.

Obama: "me, me, me, me, me"

McCain: "Obama, Obama, Obama, Obama, Obama"

Kind of one sided don't you think? It's no wonder that surveys hand Obama the victory with 53% of the people saying he won the debate and only 23% say McCain won. I think McCain should have used a little more time to talk about himself instead of bringing up the same things over and over, the tax fine, Obama's opposition to offshore drilling earlier on his career when McCain himself was the same way earlier, and on and on and on. Joe Plummer was mentioned some 26 times last night, the economy a measly 16 times and Iraq only 6. What is wrong with this picture?

Let me address Senator McCain for a bit.

Dear Senator McCain,

You had my vote, even before the primaries were over. You were the Maverick, you were the one to reform Washington, and you would pull us out of this mess. However, last night was the first time you ever said, "I am not Bush." It was about eight months too late. You have wasted your entire campaign attacking Obama's character and leadership skills. I might find this acceptable if you hadn't done a half assed job at it. But you did do a half assed job at it and so it makes you seem like a grumpy, whiny old man. It also had the side effect that you have kept me in the dark about exactly what you are going to do for me if elected president except for buying failed mortgages from homeowners. Because I am a responsible homeowner and didn't buy a house beyond my means, this makes me feel like shit. Why have I spent my entire life saving and living responsibly when I could have been living it up, driving fast cars and pimping my pad? I didn't think it was possible that you could go an entire election campaign without talking about issues but you Mr. McCain have done it and I applaud you for that accomplishment. It will probably never happen again in my lifetime. So what am I to do? Vote for a guy who talks about issues but with whom I disagree with 50% of the time of vote for a guy who I used to agree with 50% of the time but has spent the last half year avoiding talking about anything substantial and what few things you have talked about how been about expanding the government and spending more money, the two things I am adamantly opposed to. You've lost my vote Senator.

In my voting career of four presidential elections, I've voted for Bill Clinton twice and two third party candidates (i.e. throwing away my vote). I thought this was the year that I would finally be able to vote for a Republican outside of our national and state Congress. I have a feeling that I will be throwing away my vote yet again this year on a third party candidate. I bet I'll have plenty to choose from who spend their ENTIRE time discussing issues on where they stand.

**************************

P.S. If McCain mentions Palin's qualification for vice president as someone who understands kids with special needs because she understands AUTISM better than anyone, one more time, I think I will scream. Trig, Palin's son, has DOWN SYNDROME, a chromasonal defect which is in no way, shape or form related to AUTISM, whose cause is yet unknown.

13 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

It didn't watch it, for I figured out that it would be more fun to read from bloggers the next day. I was right :)

Ed Abbey said...

Mother Hen - I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a presidential candidate as I have with John McCain. All the others, I least knew I didn't like them from the get go.

sage said...

"I didn't think it was possible that you could go an entire election campaign without talking about issues but you Mr. McCain have done it and I applaud you for that accomplishment."

I broke out laughing at this line!!! I didn't get to watch this debate. I wish I could have, instead I was with an architect and construction management and host of other people for a project that's about to drive me over the edge--our little 4 hour meeting ended at the time the debates finished!

The Real Mother Hen said...

I know what you are saying. I thought McCain had a good set of values, but as I listened more and more to him, the value set seemed to go further away. And when Sarah came to the picture, it was over for me.

Tell you the truth, a while back I read Obama's first book and absolutely hated it. I got away more confused than before I picked up the book. But as I listen to him now, I can understand him.

PS: I hope you won't waste your vote though. Good luck.

Murf said...

You know what I enjoyed a bit more than the debate? Reading your Chapter 17 - The End. If only I had read the other 16 chapters.
;-)

Ed Abbey said...

Sage - I would have traded you if I had only known!

Mother Hen - Even if I vote third party, I may have said it in quotes but I really don't consider it wasting my vote. I would be voting for who I want to lead my country and who just happens to be from a third party.

Murf - Check out the November 2004 Archives for the other chapters. They aren't all there but perhaps by tomorrow they will be. I'm adding some select back posts in and accidentally put the incorrect date on Chapter 17. I corrected it but for those who get updated feeds in their sidebards, it was too late.

Beau said...

You've expressed many of my frustrations very well. But I hope you don't waste your vote, or believe it's wasted. Regardless of whom you vote for, you will at least have exercised an important right of citizenship- something that too many of our fellow citizens don't even make an effort towards. But I understand your point.

Even though many of us are frustrated with one side or another, we can think deeply about our beliefs, the contrasts of candidates and the future of this great nation- and cast our vote with good conscience.

The nation is so much greater than any one candidate or their administration anyway. I'm trying to see through the noise, and examine the fundamentals. Whatever direction the nation takes in a few weeks, there will always be other viewpoints. Thanks for sharing your thoughts- I enjoyed it.

Ed Abbey said...

Beau - Thanks for the encouragement. See my comment to Mother Hen above. Although I typed it in frustration, I truly don't feel I'm throwing away my vote as long as I am voting for the person who I best think can lead our country in the right direction.

Murf said...

Bringing back some of your oldies but goodies, eh? Can I make a request? How about that fictional suicide one that you wrote shortly after Sage's friend killed himself. ;-)

The Real Mother Hen said...

What's going on? I suddenly saw 25 new posts of yours in my "reading list" window, all posted within the last few hours. Did you just update them or something? Or you're on leave and suddenly decided to write all 25 posts at once? :) Anyway, it's all good, will be reading them when I get a chance tonight.
Cheers.

Ed Abbey said...

Mother Hen - I am copying some old posts from my old blog onto this blog. Even though they still have their original dates from back in 2004 & 2005, blogger evidently updates everyone's list.

geri said...

I only watched the first 15 minutes of the debate then drifted in and out if afterwards. I got tired of hearing the same things that was said in the first 2 debates. But my friend who shared the same feeling as I did with the first 2 was very happy with Obama's performance this time. Also I got to hear from feedback that it was the best debate ever, which made me which I sat through it. Yeah, the critics were saying the same thing about how McCain made this election about Obama, so the people just got to know more Obama while we learned nothing about what McCain had to offer us.

Ed Abbey said...

Geri - I do think it was the best performance from both candidates but it still didn't offer much specifics which is really what I wanted to hear.