Friday, February 15, 2008

Times Square: Part Two

We were all pretty hungry at this point and looking for something to eat but my traveling companions are pretty finicky eaters and nothing seemed to look good to them. We walked for two hours looking for places to eat but they would always veto it. Basically they wanted some midwestern hamburger and fries type of place and there seemed to be none around where we were. Finally I spotted a place called Jacks and practically drug them in. We were seated and my coworker asked to be moved away from the door because it smelled like fish. So we were squeezed into a smaller table about five feet further back. Then they saw the menu and didn't see anything that they liked and were thinking about just getting a drink. I told them that we were taking up space at a very busy restaurant during prime hours and we would be lucky to not get thrown out if we just ordered drinks. So they ordered a fried appetizer to split between them and I got the pasta with mussels, shrimp and scallops.

When I had finished eating, they started talking about what direction they were going to go to find someplace to eat and I knew that my patience would be tried if I stuck with them so we bid each other goodnight and I struck off on my own. I didn't have anything particular in mind to see so I just slowly ambled on back the way we had come (at least the direction I had thought we had come) stopping here and there to check out the stores and the nightlife as I saw fit. It was getting close to eleven when I got back to the corner of 7th Avenue and 36th Street where I can first remember seeing a street sign and finally stumbled upon the stairs leading down to the train station.

Once down in the central part, I could see all the stairs leading down to various tracks but no signs showing me which train I need to get back home. After ten minutes of walking and looking, I finally ended back up towards the atrium where a lot of people were standing looking up at a screen. As I glanced up at the screen, a track number appeared after one of the names and around 100 people rushed towards the stairs to that track. I had my answer. I found my train listed and waited for fifteen minutes before a number flashed up on the screen. After that, it was just a matter of following the lemming herd as we rushed down the stairs and onto the train.

Soon I was standing on the street in Bayside where I had begun the journey. Glancing around, I noticed that there were a lot of signs in Korean and I assumed this must be a Korean part of the city. I walked around a bit looking for an open place to poke around but everything was closed up for the night except for a few fast food joints. So I made my way back to the motel and called it a night.

No comments: