Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mo·bil·i·ty

Pronunciation[moh-bil-i-tee]
–noun
1. the quality of being mobile.

Mobility is the most noticeable learned skill Little Abbey has learned since my last update. Back then, she could crawl in reverse only and that didn't get her into too much trouble. Shortly thereafter, she began crawling forward and is in all kinds of trouble. At first, she didn't exploit it. Our normal routine was that I would pick her up on the way home from work, sit her down with toys which I went upstairs to get out of my work clothes. One day I was coming back downstairs only to find Little Abbey sitting at the foot of the stairs, twenty feet from where I had left her. This wouldn't be a problem except at that point, she was only about three feet from the start of the stairs going down to the basement and which are unguarded. Now she goes into her playpen while I change cloths.

With her new mobility, Little Abbey started getting into her mom's plants and so we strung up both of our baby gates from garage sales to barricade that area off. She also has taken to following us around but isn't very good at that yet. She can follow us fast enough but generally discovers something like a bag or some interesting dirt along the way and gets sidetracked. I still cringe every time I turn around to see her sitting there with a big grin on her face as she chews on something inside her mouth.

I would like to buy some of those old wooden expandable baby gates that I can fasten together and string up across the large openings we have on the main floor to try and contain Little Abbey. To do this, I need to find some gates made of wood so I can screw together but most seemed made of plastic. Second, I need to find several of the same type of gates but the last three stores I have checked only have one of each model. Third, most stores stock these gates with openings and all sorts of extra features so getting the five or six gates I need to do the job would run me well over a hundred dollars. I found two gates at garage sales for $0.50 each! I'm hoping to hit the spring garage sales soon and get the other gates I need.

A direct result of Little Abbey's mobility, her already great demeanor turned into an even happier one. Now she doesn't have to "ask" us for something that she wants. She merely crawls over to it and gets it whether we want her to have it or not. One of her favorite items right now are the remote controls for the stereo, DVD player, VCR and television.
Baby Rule #2: When the baby is done playing with the remote controls, all electrical items will be in some state of on or playing.

First Corollary: The baby will only turn the volume up and never down.

Second Corollary: The baby will only turn off the item in which you are intently watching or listening too.
Also new to Little Abbey's arsenal of mobility is the ability to pull herself upright into a standing position. She did this once a long time ago and then after she got our hopes up never did it again. That is until last weekend when we had guests and then in a show of baby rivalry, proceeded to pull herself up into a standing position as if she had been doing so for years. This effectively extends her reach by two feet and allows her to get into even more trouble.

The final stage in her mobility with everything in the house will be vulnerable to her inquisitive eyes and hands will be walking. She walks when you hold her hands and is doing so at a faster pace and with more confidence than the day before. Fortunate for me, she hasn't figured out that if she is supporting her hands on the couch that she can also do the same thing. She probably would have figured this out already if we didn't have all hardwood flooring downstairs. This was coupled with winter, which means keeping warm with socks that are like walking on ice when crossing hardwood. Bare feet will be coming back in fashion and winter has just left town. Oh boy!

No comments: