Friday, June 10, 2005

If You Are Red-Headed, Beware of the Indians!

I found this story of my great-great-great-great Aunt Asenath and thought it was pretty interesting.

Asenath and "Tom's" granddaughter, Sophie Duly DuVall told us this: "I remember my mother telling me about their trip to South Dakota. They had two covered wagons. Grandpa Duly driving one and my Dad driving the other one and we kids would argue who was going to ride with Grandpa. At one time the Indians tried to kidnap my brother, Edward, because he was red-headed. The kept begging my mother for the papoose. So Dad and Grandpa took turns with the shot gun standing guard and when they did come again Grandma Duly hid my brother under her full skirt and put some sewing in her lap and told him to be quiet or they would cut his ears off. While on the way back from South Dakota, Asenath was taken sick and died. She was buried in Salem, South Dakota."

No comments: